Unconquered Kingdoms

Main Adventure Forum Post Storage C

Needs organizing and formatting

SkidAce SkidAce November 06, 2013
01 Jannissary (Winter) 509 PE (Year of the Ravens)
0001am, Sunday

The lighting of the watchfire had coincided with midnight. The spectacular fireworks show spellbound all who had seen it. The last of the exploding balls of multicolored fire reflected off the slowly lowering clouds. It appeared that the first snow of the year had begun precisely at midnight.

Faint and scattered snowflakes fell from out of the sky, intermixed with the sparks and trails of smoke from the now complete show. A truly beautiful ending to a fantastic ceremony.

As the crowd began to disperse, with many of the soldiers and scouts grabbing last morsels of food and ale, a faint breeze brought a cold chill to the air. It seemed the first night of the new year, Year of the Ravens, was going to be a cold one.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 07, 2013
Nitram doubled the guards while the Princess was residing in Farhills. He also warned her swordsmen to keep an eye out…there have been rumors of a bugbear assassin in the area. In an attempt to quell the uneasy feeling he had since the weather turned, Nitram went looking for Blend before the party broke up. Any chance you’d like to take a look around outside before heading to bed. Maybe I’m just nervous about the Princess being here, but I’ve had an odd feeling since we got back into the area and – as amazing as those fireworks were – I’m not sure what more we could do to draw attention to the tower. One quick look around the perimeter and then off to bed.

hoping Blend joins him Nitram grabbed an unlit torch in case the watchfire and moonlight weren’t enough an headed out to make a quick check of the perimeter. planning on encircling the fort about 150’ away from the walls, looking for tracks – or actual ogres and goblins and bugbears (oh, my) – or any signs of enemy activity (massing, scouting, etc.). If he finds any, he’ll use Kinslayer to recon them. No immediate plans to engage anything, and most likely prepared to withdraw to the fort if he finds anything he can’t handle (like an army).

AFCop AFCop November 07, 2013
Blend nodded and followed behind Nitram. He agreed with him that something didn’t feel right. He wasn’t entirely sure that the feeling had anything to do from outside the walls however. Perhaps after walking the perimeter, Blend would have a look around inside the fort’s walls.

SkidAce SkidAce November 07, 2013
The doubling of the guard caused much grumbling, but the professional mercenaries actually understood the need for caution. And the elvish scouts had moved closer to the fortress perimeter while the princess was there, turning out to work in shifts, unlike before when they had just designated patrols and liaisons.

The residual illumination of the night was quickly overcast by the snowstorm clouds. Nitram and Blend were able to make contact with a few scouts as they did their own check of the perimeter. They found no tracks, or any creatures other than themselves and a few of the scouts secluded in observation posts. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, except for the rapidly dropping temperature of a cold winter’s night.

Inside the walls, nothing seemed untoward. Guards walked the walls, stood in towers gazing out into the darkness, and manned the gates. Blend came upon Sgt Slickster directing guards to post torches every thirty feet along the walls, because without them, the humans wouldn’t have been able to see anything climb over the walls, with the snow and darkness.

Night passed uneventfully, and the morning sky began to lighten slightly. It was still overcast and snowing, and the wind had started making a faint wailing sound from the walls and out in the field and trees, blowing snow and some sleet into the faces of those facing the east.

Early risers were startled by Jharron leading out of his bed and running out into the middle of the courtyard and staring into the sky, yelling “The bear is turned upside down, Ursos et Sosru, Ursos et Sosru, Ursos et Sosru!” and falling over face first into the snow in a dead faint.

About the same time, Lt Gentry startled Nitram by pounding on the door and demanding he come to the walls facing the east quickly. When Nitram got dressed and made it to the wall right behind Lt Gentry, he discovered one of the guards from the night before was dead. Frozen as stiff as a statue, and covered in frost.

SkidAce SkidAce November 07, 2013
01 Jannissary (Winter) 509 PE (Year of the Ravens)
530am, Sunday

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 08, 2013
Nitram looked around the guard for any tracks, saying to Lt Gentry, Ensure the princess is okay. We need to check the other guards, and figure out how he died. It didn’t get that cold last night. Could this be the work of the blood witches? I thought they dealt more with fire than ice. Nitram moved to Jharron to make sure he was okay and find out what he was talking about. On his wway over there, he looked to the early morning sky to see if he could distinguish any star pictures. knowledge:nature based on spending a lot of time outdoors and knowing something about the stars.

SkidAce SkidAce November 08, 2013
(Still overcast and snowing)

There were no tracks except for those of the guards who had found the frozen watchman. Sgt Slickster reported back that all the other guards seemed fine. Lt Gentry returned and informed them that the princess appeared fine and was having morning cafe with Solde.

Jharron seemed to be shaking it off as Nitram approached. Other than a lightheaded dizziness, he felt fine and was not sure why he was out in the snow at first. Then he remembered having a dream where the constellation of Ursos the bear had turned upside down. He thought he had woken up and gone to find Daelin or Aeron to compare notes, but obviously not.

The group had’nt heard Shylent yell very often, but had come to realize it was usually important when she did. “HEY” is what they heard and looking around they saw here frowning down at them from the watchtower where Nitram had lit the fire the night previous. She waved, as if beckoning them up. Once someone joined her, she merely pointed out into the early morning.

The cold from the night before hadn’t gone away yet, and seemed to intensify as they gazed across the terrain surrounding the fort. About one thousand feet away from the eastern gate was a swirling wall of wind, snow, and sleet that rose into the sky, arcing over the fort and forming a dome. Looking around, it seemed as if the fortress was surrounded and covered by the swirling wall.

There was a sharp “CRACK”, as a tall pine tree very close to the wall of snow snapped in two and crashed with a tinkling musical icy sound as it broke into dozens of frozen pieces.

The windy wall of snow itself occasionally seemed to flash with a faint bluish/green glow in patches, almost as if there was lightning within it.

SkidAce SkidAce November 08, 2013
snowwall

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 08, 2013
Is that already encircling Farhills or is it just a wall?

Jharron, do have any idea what that is? Aeron can you or Solde dispel it? Everyone inside! Nitram attempted to get everyone under cover before the wall of snow made it to Farhills.* Hopefully, this won’t last long. Otherwise, we will be in serious trouble.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 08, 2013
Aeron stood on the top of Belcadiz tower watching the icewall form around the outpost. He called out to Nitram, “I can cast a targeted dispel to specifically end the growing ice wall, but it will not be easy. It may slow it’s growth long enough for the guards to summon High Wizard Solde.” Aeron focused his concentration on the arcane source of power infusing the ice wall as he attempted to unravel it. OOC Spellcraft + 18 to ID the spell and focus item cast unprepared spell Dispel Magic against one spell affecting an area (such as a wall of ice). If Aerons d20 + 5 caster level check is equal to or higher than the DC of that spell, it ends.

SkidAce SkidAce November 08, 2013
Aeron and Nitram looked around the fortress and up at the dome. As the morning light grew stronger, it confirmed what they had already seen, that the wind and snow wall had completely encircled the fort and tower, meeting overhead a thousand feet into the air in a swirling mass of wind and snow.

But it wasn’t getting any closer. It just sat out there, driving flurries of snow that slowly accumulated and then blew away, in and around the fort.

Aeron gazed into the heart of the storm, attempting to discern its secrets. Jharron felt nauseous and had a mild headache from his ordeal, but he did say that something about the storm felt unnatural.

All across the fortress, mercenaries and scouts were bundling up in whatever winter gear they could scrounge up, and building fires in the common areas to keep warm.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 09, 2013
Aeron cast the now familiar communication spell and whispered down to the companions, “This is a 7th circle caster centered spell. Whoever did this is very powerful and very close. We must find the source and destroy them before the icy grip of this storm strangles the garrison.” Aeron concentrated on his Locate Object spell and reached out to sense the unholy symbols of an evil druid or cleric that may be nearby.

SkidAce SkidAce November 09, 2013
Aeron detected no unholy symbols within the range of his spell. Looking over the layout of the fortress (OOC, no map yet, my bad) he could easily see that the majority of the area would have been covered by the detection capabilities of his magic.

Before descending from the top of Belcadiz tower, he did notice three swirls of wind, like little snow dust devils, meandering across the snow covered approaches to the fortress.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 10, 2013
Aeron, did you find the source? Is it the blood witches? I fear there is not much I can contribute to combatting this unnatural weather, but if you can point me to the source, I’d gladly see if I can do more.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 10, 2013
Nitram went to find Solde to see if he could help.

SkidAce SkidAce November 10, 2013
Nitram met the princess on the way to find Solde, along with her four Swordmaster guards. The door to the quarters given to Solde within the Belacadiz tower was shut, and when one of the Swordmasters attempted to open the door, a crackling white symbol appeared and lightning struck the Swordmaster, blasting him back limply onto the far wall of the hallway.

LightningKanji.gif

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 10, 2013
Aeron whispered magically to the party “If you can’t find the High Wizard, get out here quick. There are three swirls of wind, like little snow dust devils, approaching the fortress. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess they are not friendly.” Aeron waited for the party to emerge from the tower before they took positions on the wall closest to three approaching snow devils.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 10, 2013
Nitram looked at the remaining Swordsmasters and gestured back toward the courtyard, Get her out of here!

Drawing his greatsword, he whispered to his traveling companions, Aeron, I’m guessing you didn’t find anything outside the walls. It’s either Solde or someone with him. His door is magically warded and already took out a Swordsmaster who knocked. I need you down here now. Blend, see if there is a way to get into his room through a window. Shylent and Jharron, I think we’ll need some help down here. Nitram checked on the downed Swordsmaster and dragged him away from the front of the door and around the nearest corner. He leaned around the corner to keep an eye on the wizard’s door.

Skid, are there rooms next to the wizard’s? Skid/Steve, can we use the pipes to make a “doorway” in a wall?

SkidAce SkidAce November 10, 2013
(There are rooms on either side, and there is a window with shutters)

The downed swordmaster was not breathing when Nitram checked his status.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 10, 2013
Nitram will attempt to revive/stabilize the swordsmaster while watching the door and waiting for the others.

Aeron, bring your pipes, they may come in handy.

SkidAce SkidAce November 10, 2013
Shylent showed up suddenly behind Nitram and placed her hand on his shoulder, leaning around the corner to take a look at Solde’s door.

SkidAce SkidAce November 10, 2013
Nitram was able to use his woodland healing skills to stabilize the mortally wounded Swordmaster, who remained unconscious, but began to breath.

(Heal 27 versus DC 20, success)

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 10, 2013
that was fortuitous

Shylent, stay here and watch the door. I want to check out the adjoining rooms. Let me know if anything comes out or goes in. After waiting for her to nod in agreement, Nitram cast resist energy (electric) on himself, said a silent prayer to Rillifane and opened the adjoining room’s door.

what’s up with ranger’s being the only magic users not to get detect magic… Maybe I’ll see if Jharron or Dealin can teach me since they are similar magic weilders

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 10, 2013
Did you account for a healer’s kit? I meant to use one, but forgot to say anything. Just want to know if I need to take it off my inventory. For the record, anytime I’m healing, I’m using a kit.

SkidAce SkidAce November 11, 2013
(forgot…no expenditure)

SkidAce SkidAce November 11, 2013
As the remaining Swordmasters shuffled the princess away to safety, Nitram entered the room to the left of Solde’s room. Shylent just grumbled at Nitram when he chose the sinister path, and made some type of lucky sign to ward off evil.

The room next to Solde’s was empty and unused.

SkidAce SkidAce November 11, 2013
As Aeron waited for the party, the three “snow devils” began heading towards the walls near the main gate and the watch tower. They stopped about 50 feet from the base of the wall, spread out in a little line from the edge of the gate towards the tower, about six paces apart (30 feet). They just swirled there, unnaturally. At this range Aeron thought he could see blue eyes, with a tint of green flickering within the whirlwind of their form.

AFCop AFCop November 11, 2013
Blend circled around back toward the windows looking for sign of entry or escape. He then proceeded to climb up the side of the fort, approaching the window. Once he neared it, he cautiously peeked inside.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 11, 2013
Nitram looked out the window of the room he was in to see how difficult it would be to climb over to the wizard’s window. He also whispered to the others to check for the electrical warding before touching anything near Solde’s room. I’d hate for Blend to get shocked off the wall

SkidAce SkidAce November 11, 2013
Blend was easily able to climb the stone of Belcadiz tower to the second floor, although if the snow and ice kept falling, that could soon change. He saw no signs of exit or entry to the building, nor of anyone coming over the nearby fortress wall.

Upon reaching the window to where he approximated Solde’s room to be, he noticed the window shutters had been bent and broken, and were swinging slightly in the wind. Once Blend looked inside, he immediately saw an astonishing sight.

Solde, or at least his body, had been rolled up into the shape of a ball, with his arms sticking out either side. His wrists had been cut, and there were a few rivulets of blood dripping out of a hollow reed stuck into each wrist. Solde appeared deathly pale, like all his blood had been “exsanguinated” thought Blend, a procedure he had heard of but never seen. This disturbed Blend on some rudimentary level.

SkidAce SkidAce November 11, 2013
Blend heard a rattling sound from his right and saw Nitram stick his head out of the next window down the wall, about 20 feet away.

Nitram looked out of the window he had just opened and saw Blend clinging to the wall like a spider about 20 feet away.

From his position, Aeron could see the two on the side of the tower wall, but not quite tell what they were doing.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 11, 2013
Nitram whispered to Blend and Aeron, Blend, can you get in the window? Is anyone in there? Any threats? Aeron, are you close to Solde’s room and do you have the pipes? I’m next door and I think we can open a doorway in the adjoining wall to gain access to the high wizard’s room.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 11, 2013
Aeron looked over at Nitram hanging out the window of Belcadiz tower and Blend hanging from the outer wall. Aeron waved frantically, and whispered. “I need you both at the front gate….NOW. We have an immediate threat that endangers everyone in this outpost.”

AFCop AFCop November 11, 2013
Despite Aeron’s calls for help, Blend crept into the room. Whether it was morbid curiosity or not, he needed to make sense of the scene in front of him. At the very least, he needed to check if Solde was dead. Careful as he could be for any danger still present in the room or left behind, he approached the body. Without disturbing the body or anything near it he checked for any signs that would help him understand exactly what they were dealing with. Blend decided he would check the rest of the rooms after he was done with Solde. “Nitram, go help Aeron. I’ll be right there.”

SkidAce SkidAce November 11, 2013
Blend cautiously moved in. As he moved over the windowsill he noticed scratch marks, like something with claws (or very sharp toe nails) had stood there. Blown snow drifted across sections of the floor, and the room looked like nothing had disturbed it for hours except the wind.

Never had Blend seen anyone rolled into a ball with such precision. The only thing marring perfect spherical conformity was the arms sticking out. As Blend carefully inspected what was left of Solde, he was astonished to see and hear the faint movement that indicated the wizard was still breathing. Near death to be sure, what with all the missing blood and such, but faintly breathing none the less.

Blend considered the door that had reputedly blasted one of the Swordmasters, and then considered how he would check the adjoining rooms. Or even what he would/could do next.

One thing bothered Blend, “Where was all of Solde’s blood?”

AFCop AFCop November 11, 2013
Blend called out to Nitram. ""Solde’s is alive! Barely! Get a healer up here now! I’ll make sure it’s safe!" Blend checked Solde’s body once more for any marks besides the ones on his wrists. Then he swept the room for traps to make sure tit was safe for the tower healers.

SkidAce SkidAce November 11, 2013
180px-AirElemental.jpgAeron’s concerns appeared well founded. The three whirlwinds of snow lifted gracefully into the air and began to drift upward, heading over the main gate. At least two of them were, it appeared that the third had spied Aeron and was moving towards him with a casual swiftness. Aeron only had a few seconds before the “thing” reached him.

(one free action)

SkidAce SkidAce November 11, 2013
(Per 19) Blend’s scan of the room revealed no traps, and it appeared that the one on the door had been discharged by the unfortunate Swordmaster. Shylent stuck her head through the door after Blend had opened it and called out to Nitram, but didn’t seemed inclined to actually enter the room.

She leaned against the doorsill and drew out her shortsword nervously, although she acted like she wasn’t bothered at all by the “wizard in a ball” form of Solde. She raised an eyebrow and said dubiously “Unroll mage?”

SkidAce SkidAce November 11, 2013
Something about the disturbing plight of Solde reminded Blend of the ogre ritual sites where he had found innocent victims impaled upon stakes.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 11, 2013
Aeron saw the icy face of death approaching and realized he was the only one that could consolidate their party to mount a defense. Aeron drew from his pouch a griffins feather…conveniently dropped by Serre during one of his morning “wrestles” with Nitram. Honestly, Aeron believed the young griffon was attempting to eat the ranger, but the half-elf looked like he was having so much fun, he didn’t have the heart to tell him. Aeron snapped out of his reminiscing long enough to conclude the complex ritual to gain the power of flight. The decision was a special mixture of one part panic and two parts huberous. Aeron lept backwards off the wall heading in a straight line for the open window of High Wizard Solde’s room. If my companions can’t join the fray, I will bring the fight to them.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 11, 2013
So, that looks cool. A little ominous and foreboding, but we’ll soon fix that.

Nitram began running to the courtyard to help the wizard. He’s going to get himself in trouble if he’s the only one there. On his way there, he heard Blend yell that Solde was alive. Passing the swordsmasters and the Princess, he directed the to get inside a building somewhere, without windows. He also sent a healer to the wizard’s room. (merc medic or elven healer, but I’m sure there is someone who specializes) As he entered the courtyard, he scanned for Aeron, Lt Gentry, and the threats. Spotting the snow devils, he absently said, What are those things? He finally saw the wizard appearing to fly away in the direction he just came from. What in Rillifane’s boot is he doing now? Nitram began barking orders, hoping Lt. Gentry would catch on soon. ARCHERS! Target those whirlwinds. There’s something alive in them. SWORDS! Defend the fort! Nitram attempted to fire arrows at one of the snow devils. If he gets full attack, it’s rapid shot plus deadly aim, so 2 arrows – each one + 5/1d8+10. If he doesn’t get full attack, just deadly aim: 1 arrow + 7/1d8+10

SkidAce SkidAce November 12, 2013
The unexpected flight of the wizard seemed to baffle the snow elemental, as it wavered for a moment and then resumed drifting towards Solde’s room. Aeron lost sight of the elemental as he entered into the room through the broken shutters with a fell swoop.

Blend may or may not have been startled by the wizard’s arrival, but he certainly couldn’t have been expecting it. Aeron heard Shylent snort in disgust from the hallway, and then his attention was distracted by the plight of the High Wizard Solde.

Solde, or at least his body, had been rolled up into the shape of a ball, with his arms sticking out either side. His wrists had been cut, and there were a few rivulets of blood dripping out of a hollow reed stuck into each wrist. Solde appeared deathly pale, like all his blood had been drained. The dimensions of the elven ball were almost perfect, and that was unsettling.

The Swordmaster’s took Nitram’s warning seriously, and took the bitterly complaining princess “delicately” against her will. Nitram though he could hear her boots dragging as she went, but didn’t have time to go and check. Daelin and Brother Sohei had been awakened by the hue and cry, and Daelin dashed up the stairs at Nitram’s direction.

After seeing Aeron fly across between the wall and the tower, Lt Gentry began organizing the archers against the two snow devils still outside the fort, targeting them as they began to rise above the walls.

Skidding to a stop, Nitram released an arrow at the one that seemed to be chasing Aeron across the sky. Nitram’s arrow went wide, or passed through the creature’s form harmlessly, it was hard to discern. (Att 17, miss)

The creature continued drifting slowly towards the window, and Nitram weighed his options, thinking he might just make it back to the room as the creature entered, depending on how quickly it reacted.

Round 1

Name Init Status
Blend 19
Snow Elemental 18
Aeron 06
Shylent 05

Solde_Room_01.png

SkidAce SkidAce November 12, 2013
(Solde is in D4, sadly I don’t have a token for his situation)

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 12, 2013
Glad I got a good night’s sleep last night Nitram thought as he ran back towards Solde’s room. He slung his bow as he ran and loosened his greatsword.

I’m all for some hack and slash in a small room, but it’s going to get crowded quick in there, especially with the wizard 8-ball. Any suggestions from the tacticians/power gamers up there before Nitram joins in with his giant blade…. Maybe Shylent can pull the wizard back to where Daelin or his Brother can provide some assistance. I still think Aeron should have used the pipes to make this a sweet suite. I guess I’ll wait to see what the elemental does.

SkidAce SkidAce November 12, 2013
(It’s Bend’s init. I judge it will take Nitram a full round run to reach the doorway, at which point I will add him to the init.)

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 12, 2013
Let it in the window. Let Aeron withdraw past Nitram to the door. If it goes south, Aeron can drop a fireball and we can try to out save it.

SkidAce SkidAce November 12, 2013
Aeron probably had some flight left, what square in the room would you like to be in? Moving elsewhere will be on your init.

AFCop AFCop November 12, 2013
Blend moved toward the window, hiding from sight, waiting to ambush whatever came through.

Should be able to sneak attack when the thing comes through the window.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 13, 2013
Skid, don’t judge me.

Nitram thought to himself, Let’s give these new boots a try and clicked his heels together before running back out of the courtyard, nearly twice as fast as he arrived.

hasted. 1 additional attack at full BAB when making full attack; +1 to atk; +1 dodge AC; +1 Reflex; all move +30’ that should get me there in half a round so he should be able to do something this round, even if after others – I know that kind of defeats the purpose of initiative and turn-based movement, so I’ll leave that to your DMing jusgement.

SkidAce SkidAce November 13, 2013
Aeron drifted further into the room before the pursuing creature was able to catch up. He noticed Blend positioning himself next to the window in order to strike the creature as it entered.

Surprisingly, Nitram was able to rush up the stairs and down the hall with a blur of speed and force his way quickly past Shylent and the floating wizard into the room.

Blend readied himself to strike. (Stealth 29) He could hear the whistling of the wind as the creature approached the window, and everyone in the room could feel the temperature drop as the snow elemental entered the room in a swirling cloud of ice and sleet.

Focused as it had been on the retreating form of the flying wizard, the snow devil failed to notice Blend lurking to the side. Blend struck quickly, taking advantage of its surprise, (Att 22, dam 13) but its swirling body wasn’t harmed as much as Blend expected. There seemed to be no “central” or “vital” area to strike.

The snowy form turned its implacable gaze towards Blend, it may not have had vitals, but Blend had still hurt it considerably. It lashed out with a suddenly created arm and fist of snow, but Blend was able to easily avoid the attack. (Att 13, miss)

Round 1

Name Init Status
Blend 19
Snow Elemental 18
Aeron 06
Shylent 06
Nitram 05

Solde_Room_01a.png

SkidAce SkidAce November 13, 2013
(Creature is in B6, forgot to move it.)

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 13, 2013
Nitram moves in front of the window to flank the elemental and protect Solde B5 and power attacks with his greatsword.

+ 10 attack (hasted) / 2d6+13 damage

Someone help Solde, Nitram managed to say as he passed the ball of wizard on his way to engage the elemental.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 13, 2013
Aeron flew to the room’s entrance past the body of High Wizard Solde (F5). Hovering above the wizard’s desk, Aeron looked down on his crumpled mentor and knew he could do nothing for him. His knowledge of the body was extensive, but attuned more towards necromancy than healing. We must defeat this creature quickly so the healers can help High Wizard Solde. Aeron focused his arcane energies and reached out to bend time around his companions give them incredible speed. {color:orange} Aeron continues to fly…49 rounds left and castes Haste on the party…+ 1 Hit, + 1 AC, + 1 Attack (if they do full attack) the effect lasts for 5 rounds.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 13, 2013
was that on each member of the party? Can I click my Dorothy heels together again to turn my Haste off and use Aeron’s?

SkidAce SkidAce November 13, 2013
“It would be prudent to turn your’s off and use Aeron’s, as they do not stack.”

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 13, 2013
I knew they didn’t stack, I just wanted to make sure I was affected by his spell before I turned mine off.

Nitram watched his flying friend, trying to determine what exactly he was doing. After seeing Shylent move more rapidly than usual, he whispered to the wizard, Aeron, did you hasten us? After receiving an affirmative response, Nitram turned off his magical boots. that should have used about 1 round for today; 9 more to go.

SkidAce SkidAce November 13, 2013
After Aeron’s spell caused the members of the party to move with unnatural swiftness, Shylent slid forward and with a grimace of distaste, pulled/rolled the High Wizard out of the room and into the hallway, where she left him in the care of Daelin and the approaching Brother Sohei, and turned back towards the fight.

Nitram had moved forward to flank the creature, and putting his strength into the blade of his sword, brought it slicing down the length of the whirling flurry of snow. The blade scattered sleet and snow as it passed through the creature and seemed to dissipate a substantial chunk of its substance, after which the swirling stopped. The floating remnants of the elemental loosed a mournful wail and drifted to the floor gently, no longer animated. (Att 23, dam 23)

After slaying the creature, Nitram and Blend could easily discern that one of the other snow devils had followed the now dead one, and was preparing to enter the window.

From outside the door, Aeron, blend, and Nitram heard Shylent growl in defiance, and then fall to the ground as a small breeze carrying spring rose petals floated past her. There was a thump as another person behind her also slumped to the floor (presumably Daelin).

Myrdred_Girl.jpgA small waif like girl dressed in red robes moved into the doorway, and Blend could hear the scratching of toenails and the creaking of the doorframe as her weight approached it.

In a deep bass voice that rumbled like the sound of thunder after a spring rain, the thin endearing looking girl said “Is that Kinslayer I smell?”

Round 1

Name Init Status
Blend 19
Little Girl 14
Snow Elemental 11
Aeron 06
Shylent 06
Nitram 05

Solde_Room_02a.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 13, 2013
What the… Nitram thought as he turned to see the young, female form that didn’t match the deep voice he heard. Who wants to know? He asked, hoping to determine just what sh/he was?

SkidAce SkidAce November 14, 2013
“Alyss” grunted the young girl.

Still in init because the snow elemental is planning to beat someone

SkidAce SkidAce November 14, 2013
Blend slid sideways in front of the window, blocking the advancement of the approaching snow elemental. Blend’s monk like poise was further enhanced by the magic of Aeron’s spell, and channeling his ki he exploded into a flurry of blows with his blade.

The snow elemental was baffled by the onslaught of cuts and jabs, (Att 20, 23, 28, 16, dam 28) and appeared severely weakened.

Round 2

Name Init Status
Blend 19
Little Girl 14
Snow Elemental 17 bloodied
Aeron 06
Shylent 06 slept
Nitram 05
Solde_Room_02b.png

SkidAce SkidAce November 14, 2013
As Blend battled the snow creature, he yelled to Nitram “Watch out for the little girl, its not what it seems!”

(Last 2 posts via text)

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 14, 2013
expend hero point to move next

She doesn’t seem to be here to help Nitram moved quickly to engage the confusing newcomer G6 , dropping his greatsword on the way and drawing Kinslayer to attack the little girl with deep voice and strange powers. Only an ogre would smell Kinslayer and know what it was. hasted, two-handed power attack: + 10/1d6+14 dmg, crit 18-20. If she is an ogre: + 12/3d6+14, crit 18-20

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 14, 2013
I need to stop moving so I can get that extra attack from being hasted

SkidAce SkidAce November 14, 2013
Nitram moved quickly around the table and past Aeron to confront the “little girl”. The little girl began to grin enormously and waved Nitram closer as he approached.

Kinslayer hummed with power, confirming Nitram’s suspicions. When Nitram swung the scimitar towards the creature, the little girl bent forward, letting the blade glide unimpeded over her back. (Att 18, miss)

From out of nowhere, the girl produced a large massive hammer, and swung it at Nitram (Att 23, dam 19) crashing it into his chest.

The weakened snow elemental attempted to slam Blend with fist of snowy air, but flailed away uselessly. (Att 15, miss)

Round 2

Name Init Status
Blend 19
Nitram 15
Little Girl 14
Snow Elemental 11
Aeron 06
Shylent 06

Solde_Room_02c.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 14, 2013
Nitram also looked past Alyss to determine the status of the rest of the party.

SkidAce SkidAce November 14, 2013
From Nitram’s angle he could see a small empty section of floor past “Alyss”. He thought he remembered Shylent pulling Solde around to the west, but he couldn’t see that far to confirm.

SkidAce SkidAce November 15, 2013
The little girl grinned like a hyena at Nitram and Aeron, as if daring them to do their worst. “Perhaps you should trade Kinslayer for your lives…that sounds reasonable does it not fleshbags?” the girl said with a deep bass chuckle, leaning on the large hammer.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 16, 2013
Aeron replied in a comically rapid voice, “The murder of High Wizard Solde shall be given no quarter. Nitram will let you have Kinslayer…and here are some arrows to go with it.” Aeron released a salvo of arrows from his arcane quiver. {color:orange} Full attack with point blank shot, rapid shot and haste. + 9/ + 9/ + 9 to Hit and d10 + 4 Damage, (19 – 20 Crit x 3). If it dies Arrow Eruption at elemental. Any bonus for floating above the desk?

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 16, 2013
Skid, I initially had Nitram move to G 6, not G5. I’m assuming it was just an oversight, but that way he would get a better look to Shylent and the others in the hall and give the flying elf a little more room to engage if that was what he decided to do. I meant to mention this yesterday, but we spent the day in STL for my daughter’s planned eye surgery.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 16, 2013
Nitram continues to attack the ogre dressed as a little girl, sure that Blend can finish off the elemental quickly. finally, a full attack: 2 attacks, each with + 12/3d6+16

Nitram tried to focus on the earth elemental to see if she could provide any help to distract or stun the ogre, maybe with a bright light Can/will she cast flare?

SkidAce SkidAce November 16, 2013
The salvo of arrows flew through the air from the hovering wizard towards the little girl.

(+ 1 to attack from above since you are hovering, if you make your DC 15 fly check. Fly 22, success.)

Aeron’s spread of arrows bracketed the door, with only the center arrow actually hitting the girl. The arrow lodged in her neck, but appeared to only minorly inconvenience her. (Att 15, 23, 12, dam 9)

SkidAce SkidAce November 16, 2013
Round 3

Name Init Status
Blend 19
Nitram 15
Little Girl 14
Snow Elemental 11
Aeron 06
Shylent 06 slept

Solde_Room_03a.png

SkidAce SkidAce November 16, 2013
As Nitram moved around sparring with the creature, he could see Shylent slumped to the floor, apparently asleep.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 16, 2013
Thanks.

SkidAce SkidAce November 17, 2013
The air in the room was tense, and the situation could be looked at in two different ways. One, the group was tactically secure, with both entrances to the room blocked off, and Aeron situated strategically in the center for support. Or two, they were surrounded with no way to escape from enemies of unknown strength and provenance.

The snow elemental Blend was engaged with seemed very weak, but the question remained, where was the third one? And the girl moved with power and poise, keeping Nitram on his toes to avoid another crushing blow from the massive gray hammer, chuckling in a deep voice all the while.

Blend surveyed the situation and considered his options while keeping the swirling snow devil at bay.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 17, 2013
Hint, hint, James.

AFCop AFCop November 17, 2013
I have no idea what you are talking about. How about you stand in the middle of the door and let no one else attack the “little girl”? :)

SkidAce SkidAce November 17, 2013
(via text)

Blend’s blade cut through the center of the icy cloud generated by the snow elemental, and must have struck something of significance, as the wind slowed and the creature disbursed into nothingness. (Att 29, dam 9)

Blend concentrated then faded from view, possibly heading towards the doorway, but Aeron and Nitram were unable to tell.

Nitram swung twice on the creature, landing a solid hit with Kinslayer each time. The little girl was staggered by the blows, and the gloating maniacal look on her face was replaced by one of apprehension and fear. (Att 19, 21, dam 52)

The girls deep voice strained with concentration as she defended herself from Nitram’s swings and quickly turned into a cloud of mist. Nitram managed to get a swing in as she floated and swirled backwards out the door, causing her to screech in pain. (Att 27, dam 22) Blend apparently had moved into position, as he took the opportunity to strike also. (Att 23, dam 6) She drifted out of sight down the hallway to the east, away from Nitram and Shylent.

Round 3

Name Init Status
Blend 19
Nitram 15
Little Girl 14 bloodied
Aeron 06
Shylent 06 slept
Solde_Room_03b.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 17, 2013
I have a giant shit-eating grin on my face. That is what I’m talking about! I love this sword. And now, I’m realizing that I forgot to include my bonuses for favored enemy (+ 2/+2) in my earlier posts. I’m sure Skid’s combat program caught it though :) I hope I didn’t screw up the first attack. And, of course….

Nitram will run after the cloud of mist until he can no longer discern it’s location.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 17, 2013
See, James. I knew your slight-statured “merchant” could find a way to hit the little girl even when I’m blocking the door. Sorry, I didn’t post earlier – I didn’t get the e-mail.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 18, 2013
Aeron flew through the doorway in pursuit of the mist cloud. Catching up with it, he fanned his bow out in front of him and called forth a wave of elemental fire to incinerate the cloud. Fly + Haste = 90ft move with Burning Hands 5d4 Damage, Reflex St vs DC 20 for half.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 18, 2013
Finish Him! Nitram silently urged the flying mage on.

SkidAce SkidAce November 18, 2013
When Aeron easily caught up with the flowing mist, he could see that it had lowered to the floor and was attempting to flow under the door of the next room over, the one Nitram had not checked yet. The remaining length of hallway was a dead end with no where else for it to go (except a room to the south).

Aeron cast his spell and to his amazement, he felt a resistance to his magic. The flames billowed out covering the area, but had only a tenuous grasp on the creature. Aeron concentrated (CL check 21) and the flames pierced whatever protections the mist had, causing it to reflexively attempt to dodge the incinerating flames.

The mist swirled but could not evade the brunt flames blast, (Ref 18, failed, dam 14) and with a sizzling sound the mist burned away, and a large ogre like body appeared on the hallway floor.

ogre_mage_female.jpg

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 18, 2013
Nitram caught up to the flying wizard and stopped abruptly as he was awash in burned ogre-flesh smell. Human or elf is bad enough, but this will ruin my appetite for days. He looked at the hovering wizard, Well done, Aeron. He surveyed the charred body with a slight grin, I guess she did a little more than smell Kinslayer.

Not sure if we are still in combat rounds, but when able:
Nitram looked at the door she attempted to go under, I wish I could figure out if this was warded as well…I wonder if the sprite is able to do that. Nitram focused on the earth sprite in the crystal around his neck remembering the images of the swordsmaster touching the warded door. If this doesn’t work, I’ll have to ask the wizard.

If the sprite, or the wizard confirm the door is safe, Nitram will open it slowly. I assume Blend will show up as well to check for traps – great if he does, but Nitram isn’t planning on waiting. If the door isn’t safe, he wait for Blend or Aeron to make it safe :)

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 18, 2013
Aeron eyes flashed an unearthly blue as he examined the door for arcane protections (Detect Magic) confirming the door was safe of arcane wards, Aeron swept his gaze across the ogre mage to see if any of her magic items survived the fire. Once Blend and Nitram were in position. Aeron knocked on the stone wall and magically opened the door stepping to the side so the others could rush in (Knock).

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 18, 2013
Knock after Blend checked for traps.

SkidAce SkidAce November 18, 2013
Nitram got the impression that the sprite was very glad to be helpful in this case. The little teeny glowing figure flitted out of the crystal and began hovering near the door, about the same time that Blend and Aeron declared it safe to enter.

Once Aeron knocked the door, Nitram also got the impression the sprite was pouting, and it appeared she may have done a flyby of Aeron’s head just prior to returning to the crystal.

The room beyond was featureless and empty, much like the one on the other side of Solde’s room. There was another open shutter flapping in the window, and the sound of cheers, hoots, and hollers drifted in from the courtyard beyond.

Aeron appeared to notice something significant on the ogre’s corpse. Nitram gazed in wonder at the dead creature. He had heard of ogre magi before, but never met anyone (alive) who had encountered one.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 18, 2013
Wasn’t the one-eyed ogre an ogre magi…or just questing to become one. This one seemed a little harder than the first.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 18, 2013
Nitram looked out the window to determine if the soldiers had dispatched the remaining elemental and the status of the ice wall. He then proceeded to his sleeping companions and the malformed elven high wizard. Heal w/ kit on Solde. Attempt to stabilize him enough to return him to normal posture. Wake up Dealin to help. Once that situation is under control, Nitram will find Lt. Gentry for an update on what happened and then ensure the Crown Princess is still safe.

SkidAce SkidAce November 19, 2013
When Nitram looked out the window, he saw a group of mercenaries stomping on a small pile of snow and ice near the wall. It appeared that they had managed to kill the third snow elemental.

Gazing over the wall, the storm winds that encircled the fortress in a dome continued to swirl around the area, flickering in their depths with pale bluish lights and the occasional green streak.

Nitram managed to wake up Daelin and Shylent, and while they were recovering their wits, he tended to Solde. Shylent stood up, rubbed her eyes, and glared at Aeron suspiciously.

Solde’s wounds were severe, but Nitram managed to remove the reed pipes from his wrists and bandage the wounds, preventing further damage. (Heal 18 v DC 15 success, 1 kit use)

Daelin hovered over Solde, and with Nitram’s help they managed to…unroll…the wizard safely. Daelin invoked the power of the Pantheon and Solde was covered with a pale silver glow, at which point he began to breathe easier. After further inspection, Daelin said “His fortitude and stamina have been drained away. He should be fine, but will require my daily care. Hopefully he will awaken tomorrow”

Lt Gentry explained to Nitram that they had lost two men, both mercenaries. “Jordach and Stoneface both fell to the snow devil as it came over the wall, but the Princess is safe.”

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 19, 2013
I thought his name was Stonewash… I assume between whatever the wizard saw and Blend, someone will search the ogre’s body.

In passing, Nitram commented to Aeron about the ice dome, Can you tell what is causing that ice storm? Or, more importantly, what is sustaining the storm. Hopefully, it will begin to dissipate now that the elementals and ogre magi are dead, and Solde is recovering from the blood ritual. Should we see if something is on the outside?

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 20, 2013
Aeron was relieved that the healers were able to stabilize High Wizard Solde. Once they saw to the wounded Aeron showed the smoldering ogre magi satchel to the companions. Opening the pouch he revealed talismans of varying provenance, and two rolled up scrolls. Aeron handed a few of the talismans to Blend. “Blend take this talisman it can only be used once, but this one allows you to sense poisons. It could save your life.” Aeron then handed a few of the less powerful talismans to Nitram. Nitram take these talismans.They can be used once to toughen your skin as hard as a tree trunk while this one makes your next attack unerringly strike."
There was also a smaller pouch containing a piece of blue quartz, what may be a small chunk of bloodstone that he handed to Blend to appraise.
Aeron held onto the scrolls for further study.

SkidAce SkidAce November 20, 2013
01 Jannissary (Winter) 509 PE (Year of the Ravens)
11am, Sunday

Afternoon approached before a complete sweep of the interior of the fortress was completed. There appeared to be no other “ogre magi” or snow devils drifting about. As the search had progressed, the temperature had continued to drop. It wasn’t as cold as the great blizzard of seven winters ago, but it was getting there.

The swirling dome of sleet and snow maintained its distance approximately 1,000 feet from the walls of Farhills, and the clouds filtered what little light from the rising sun there was, causing the entire area to be bathed in a slight bluish glow.

Daelin and Brother Sohei had set up a makeshift clinic in a cluster of rooms near the bottom of the keep, with the High Wizard Solde resting unconscious but comfortably in a separate room.

Sgt Slickster reported to Nitram, saying “A few of our stupider members of the unit are starting to suffer from frostbite. Morons don’t know when to put on gloves. I briefed them all, and set the stupid ones to re-stacking firewood, should solve the problem.”

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 20, 2013
Thank you Aeron. We need to focus on getting the ice dome off Farhills. We need to get the Princess back to Septcygne. Do you have any ideas how to get rid of it?

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 20, 2013
I wonder if we can go through it Nitram thought as he decided to at least give it a try. He dressed as warmly as he could, preparing to test the dome’s resistance.

SkidAce SkidAce November 20, 2013
Shylent spit on the ground in disgust at Nitram’s idea, but began putting on warmer clothing and gloves, mumbling all the while. Something about “Thrym’s buttocks” and “Loviatar’s brass brassiere”.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 20, 2013
Aeron turned to Nitram, “I would be more prepared to set off into the blizzard tomorrow, but I fear many more will die of exposure tonight. Lead on Nitram and I will follow.” Aeron then put on his hooded cloak and prepared to follow the party into the snow.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 21, 2013
After everyone was prepared to venture out into the cold (snowshoes and/or rope tied around each of us depending on Skid’s OOC response) Nitram led the party out the front gate and to the closest part of the dome. On the way he cautioned, It looks like there may be lightning in the wall of snow as well as the wind and cold – just in case you were excited about checking it out.
Once there, Nitram tried tossing some inanimate objects – a couple of rocks and tree branches of varying sizes – at the wall to see if they could pass and what would happen to them in the wall.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 21, 2013
As the group was preparing to depart Farhills, Aeron dragged the ogre magi out into the snow and removed a patch of skin from her back. Treating it with expensive arcane tanning liquids to prepare it for a spell the next morning. Aeron rolled the tanned hide into the map case saying to the party, “If we need directions to their lair, I will complete the ritual tomorrow morning to reveal a map to the ogre magi base of operations. In the meantime, Commander Nitram, tear down that ice wall.” Prepare ogre magi hide for Create Treasure Map spell. cast Mage Armor feom robe and Unseen Servant. If the ice wall is substantial, Aeron will launch 2x 5d6 Fireballs into the ice dome to weaken it for the rest to break through.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 21, 2013
If the wall seems solid, Nitram will try to dig/cut through it with the few mining tools he has. If it just seems like it’s wind and snow, he’ll attempt to walk through. He’s planning on casting something on himself based on the results of throwing rocks and sticks through the “wall”; endure elements or resist energy (electric) if the lightning looks dangerous.

Comments

SkidAce

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.