Unconquered Kingdoms

Main Adventure Forum Post Storage D

Needs organizing and formatting

SkidAce SkidAce November 21, 2013
The group left the walls of the fortress behind, and went forward to investigate the icy storm that seemed to have cut them off from the outside world. The snow was about two feet deep and made traveling slightly difficult until everyone put on their snow shoes.

A few of the mercenaries and one of the elvish scouts (red shirts) accompanied the party. They also wore standard cold weather clothing and snow shoes.

(what is the party roped order)

The temperature continued to plummet as they approached until it was nearly zero degrees as they stood a mere 10 feet away from the discernible edge of the snow and wind wall. Nitram tossed a few rocks into the swirling wind and they instantly gained a glaze of frost as they flew into the storm.

Vision into the storm sharply dropped off after 60 feet, with trees and brush blending into the swirling gray and white gloom. Near the edge, only 10 feet into the storm’s edge was a pine tree that had frozen and snapped in two. Upon a branch sticking out of the portion of the stump still in the ground a large snowly bluebird sat perched, frozen mid flight as it attempted to flee the storm.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 21, 2013
Nitram looked at the party to determine who needed the most help and asked, Does anyone feel they will not be able to endure these extreme conditions? I can help one of you. Nitram began tying one end of a rope around himself and offered the other end to the rest of the party.
Nitram will rely on his Endurance and Fort save for the weather; and his strength to lead the group through the wind. We may want to put the weaker people near the rear so we can pull them through if necessary. Maybe Shylent should go in front of the mercs and scout in case they need a little encouragement.

SkidAce SkidAce November 21, 2013
This close to the wall, the blue flashes of lightning were easily discernible along the edges of the storm. It wasn’t streaks of lightning or bolts, but more like flashes of heat lightning during a summer storm (contradiction in terms notwithstanding).

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 21, 2013
I had a random idea. I think we may move quicker if I pull you all on a sled and use my boots of speed to get us all through the wall as quickly as possible. What do you think?

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 22, 2013
Nitram led the group back to the fort and, with the help of others, began constructing a sled (or sleigh) suitable for six people. It was crude looking when completed, but should accomplish the job. After they returned to the “wall”, Nitram cast endure elements on the wizard, clicked his heels together, and began pulling the group through the wind and snow.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 22, 2013
Before pulling, he cautioned the group, any wisecracks about me pulling you all on a sled will be dealt with later, and not in a manner you will enjoy. Shylent, feel free to push anyone off the sled who doesn’t understand this.
It’s one thing to “carry” the team, but this is getting a little ridiculous.

SkidAce SkidAce November 22, 2013
Once Aeron had pointed out a spot near the wall most adjacent to the “ogre camp”, Nitram pulled the sledeigh into the wall of the storm. Intense cold immediately hit the party as the cold and icy winds pushed strongly against them, sapping the heat from their bodies.

Those wearing metal armor felt the discomfort first, as their armor became like ice. One of the mercenaries (Dahlion) immediately removed his metal gauntlets and put his gloves back on, which seemed to solve his problem. Nitram felt the chill touch of cold creeping through his breastplate. (one point damage per round)

Sword handles and spear tips, and other such equipment were also affected, but cautious re-location of equipment easily solved that concern.

Nitram was able to pull the sledeigh for a full five minutes before needing to take a break. The snowy haze surrounding the party made keeping a sense of direction very difficult, but Nitrtam felt confident he had been moving in a straight line. (Survival 18)

The unearthly cold caused by the low temperature and gusting winds was beginning to affect everyone, with the exception of Aeron. (2 points cold damage, 2 points non-lethal damage)

As Nitram caught his breath, the group considered their actions.

SkidAce SkidAce November 22, 2013
Nitram guesstimated that they had traveled around 3,000 feet.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 22, 2013
*{color:green}We’ve gone about half a mile. Can everyone continue? Aeron, can you confirm we aren’t in some weird reality like in the fire swamp when we needed the amulet to see the correct path? Also, I think my boots are done for today, so it will be slower going from here on out. Shall we try forward one more time or turn back? *

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 22, 2013
Aeron whispered through chattering teeth to the party as he motioned to the ogre hide map, “The ogre camp was 21000 ft from Farhills. We have gone only 1000 ft from Farhills plus 3000 ft in the snow. Therefore, We are only one fifth of the way to the camp and on foot our pace will slow by half. If we continue on we are committed to find the ogre lair and destroy the magi controlling this weather.” Aeron then looked at the shivering mercenaries and the lone elvish scout. “The way ahead is likely certain death for you. We have miles to go and the weather is treacherous, return to Farhills and prepare the outpost if we do not return.”

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 22, 2013
Speed has dropped in half, so it will take us ~50 + minutes to reach the lair, so everyone will likely take another 10 + 10 damage. We are going to show up very weak. Any ideas?*

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 22, 2013
The cold did absolutely nothing to hide Nitram’s frustration over the timing of this information, I ddddidn’t realize we were pppplaying “I have a ssssecret” Aeron.

SkidAce SkidAce November 22, 2013
The mercenaries and the scout were ready to head back towards the fortress. Before departing they paused to see whether the party was returning with them or continuing on. Dalion and Dashon prepped their snowshoes and bundled up against the wind, waiting on word from Nitram. The elvish scout (known only as Thornglade) was already prepared.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 23, 2013
I think we should press on. This can’t last forever. Hopefully There is no point to the sled any longer. I’ll drag it in case we need to pull something later, but I can no longer move rapidly. Let’s find this camp and eliminate the source of this foul weather.

AFCop AFCop November 23, 2013
Blend stood expectantly, body language clearly saying, what are we waiting for?

SkidAce SkidAce November 23, 2013
The mercenaries, led by Thornglade, turned back towards the fort.

The main group started forward, guided by Nitram and his best guess as to a straight line through the bulk of the storm. (Survival 22) Nitram found his usual sense of direction blunted by the swirling winds and the white snow, and found it hard on occasion to actually determine the difference between ground and sky.

One way of telling the difference between sky and ground was the blue flickering of the “cold” lightning. In fact, with a crackling SNAP there was a blue flash of light and the sled Nitram was pulling shook violently. When he looked back, he could see a large portion of the rear of his makeshift sled covered in a sheet of ice, and Shylent (who had been following the sled) had fallen backwards onto her butt in the snow and then gotten up, apparently okay.

After many minutes of struggle, and an increasing sense of cold and weariness, those in the front of the advance saw what looked like a lessening of the snow and wind ahead, like a clearing. As they stepped out of the storm, they found the sun shining on a normal landscape of scrub/brush terrain, and a large swirling wall of snow, ice, and wind behind them.

(Total for trip, 12 points cold damage, 12 points non-lethal damage)

There was only patches of snow on this side of the storm, and the sled would now be more or less useless. After conferring with Aeron and looking over the map made of peeled ogre skin, Nitram felt he had a good sense of where they should head to find the ogre camp. (Survival 12)

01 Jannissary (Winter) 509 PE (Year of the Ravens)
130pm, Sunday

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 23, 2013
Okay, that wasn’t fun, Nitram stated the obvious as he put his breastplate back on after warming it up a little. He took a few minutes to ensure his gear was still serviceable, focusing on his sword and bow. As they paused, allowing the sun to soak in, Nitram surveyed the area from where they were. Drawing Kinslayer, he looked around the immediate area for tracks before leading the party in the direction of the ogre camp. I think this is still considered temperate hills (favored terrain): +2 init, perception, stealth, survival; my favored enemy (giants) is +4 and favored enemy (goblinoids) is +2

Aeron, can you cast your message spell so Blend can move in front of us? I’m assuming that was what you were planning, Blend. Assuming party order: blend (out front), nitram, aeron, shylent

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 23, 2013
Aeron cast the magic message spell upon the party. His magic armor spell should be empowered for a little less than an hour. Aeron focused the power of his robe to summon his small air elemental servant and equipped it with his lastminor healing options instructing it to pour it into the mouth if the first party member to fall unconscious.

once they snuck up to the edge of the ogre encampment, Aeron enchanted his bow to strike with the force of a light ballista, enchanted his arrows to ricochet between targets, finally hasting the party before they engaged.

SkidAce SkidAce November 23, 2013
Nitram scoured the area for tracks. (Survival 18) What he discovered concerned him. Multiple goblinoid footprints running adjacent to the storm wall, occasionally meandering in and out, as if they were looking for tracks. Perhaps a patrol he surmised.

Nitram located a set of tracks, perhaps a pair of goblins, heading in the general direction of the potential ogre camp site. The trail headed towards a small ridgeline about two miles away, past several groves of trees. The ridgeline was right about where the camp should be according to Aeron’s skin map.

It took the group about 20 minutes to travel the two miles, using available cover. Peering over a rise from within one of the groves of trees, they could look slightly downward to a small valley about 800 feet away. The wide mouth of the valley (about 200 feet across) was facing them, and it narrowed as it traveled back towards the ridge. Encamped in various tents was what appeared to be a unit of goblins. Maybe not a full unit, but at least two dozen. Six goblin sentries were set up along the entrance of the valley, about 30 feet apart.

The rear of the valley was occupied by a crumbled and partially ruined three story tower with a 50 foot base. The back of the tower was leaning up against the back of the valley, and there was a 60 foot cliff overlooking the roof of the tower. The tower seemed to have an unfamiliar architecture, but what was odd about it was not apparent from the distance.

Between the sentries and the tower were eight large goblin tents, and two large campfires. At the base of the tower, flanking an open archway were what appeared to be hobgoblins dressed in chain mail with helms and brandishing halberds.

01 Jannissary (Winter) 509 PE (Year of the Ravens)
150pm, Sunday

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 24, 2013
Trying to come up with a plan, Nitram suggested some options to the group, The way I see it, we have about four options. One, we try to get close enough to engage the camp at distance with arrows and fireballs. He arched an eyebrow at the wizard looking for confirmation. Two, we make our way to the cliff behind that tower and either engage the camp from there or try to get down into the tower. Three, we find a place to hole up, recover from the cold and attack in the morning. I doubt this option is very viable. Based on the number of goblin tracks, they are patrolling this area heavily and are likely to find us. I can try to hide our trail or create a false one if we choose this path. Four, we can return to the fort and try this again in the morning. He paused, letting his words sink in when another thought came to mind. At least seven to one, not very fair for goblins, but if there’s more, this could get tricky. I wonder if we could get help from anywhere. Hold on a minute, we may be able to get some help. There may still be elven scouts at their camp. Hopefully, they all didn’t come to the fort. We could travel there and bring help back. Nitram tried to recall how many elven scouts he had seen in the fort.

Skid, any chance there are elves still in the camp? If so, how long to get to the camp and back on foot? Where is this valley in relation to the fort? please don’t say 21000’ away.

SkidAce SkidAce November 24, 2013
The fort is 4 miles away to the west, 2 of which are in the storm. So 4 × 5,280 = 21,120."

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 24, 2013
Aeron agreed with the plan to engage the encamped forces from the ridgeline behind the tower. This force on force strategy with tactical advantage would likely result in the concentration and destruction of the fielded forces. They should sneak into position one by one Blend, Nitram, Aeron, then Shylent. Aeron will Locate Object for the Control Weather spell components to detect the location of the ogre magi leade, then he will Knock the tower trap door (top floor of tower is the likely location of the leader) rom the ridgeline and toss a fireball into the top floor. The antpile being suitably kicked, he will cast Haste on the party. (cast extended extended Gravity Bow between Locate Object and Knock).

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 24, 2013
I wonder if that ogre magi really could smell Kinslayer. Is there a chance the more powerful ogres can sense the weapon? Hopefully they are here because of Farhills’ threat, not because of the sword. I’ll have to think more on this later, but I should probably stay as far away from that tower as possible until we are ready to attack. Just in case. Nitram considered the mage’s plan, adding, I think I should go last. I’ll be able to provide some cover and I’ll try to conceal our tracks to maintain our surprise. Aeron, make sure you don’t do anything until we are all in position. That elf has a habit of starting prematurely, negating our advantages.

SkidAce SkidAce November 25, 2013
The party set off to implement their plan for assaulting the ogre camp. The group moved carefully to the west/left of the open valley mouth, then proceeded northward along the base of the ridgeline.

Blend and Shylent performed scout duties, and ensured they used the ridge and small copses of trees as cover from camp area. The farther they went along, the rougher the terrain became. Dense clumps of thornbrush and rocky outcroppings prevailed. Nitram followed along behind and attempted to cover the party’s trail. (Survival 26)

Eventually the group reach a spot where they had to climb to get farther along the ridge behind the tower’s location. After several tries, a suitable route was discovered, and they looked down over the edge of the ridge wall to the tower’s roof, some 60 feet below. The incline was steep, and would make for difficult terrain, but would not require actual climbing if they chose to go down to the roof.

The roof was empty and featureless, with the exception of a fairly standard trapdoor in the center. From this vantage point the party could easily count the tents. They also noticed a muscular goblin carrying meat scraps heading back and forth towards an alcove to their right, from which the sound of growling and barking came. after a few moments, the goblin animal training began walking around the edge of the camp where the sentries were posted with a large dog on a leash. The dog appeared to have three heads. The black and gray three headed dog came nearly to shoulder height on the goblin, and had enormous bat like ears. Shylent knew of the creatures and in a whisper said they were called cerberus, and that they were ill tempered and lived out in unsettled wildernesses, fairly rare to see them, individually or in packs.

200_x_200_Ancient_Valley.PNG

SkidAce SkidAce November 25, 2013
The party is at the bottom edge of the map, adjacent to the tower.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 25, 2013
Scale?

SkidAce SkidAce November 25, 2013
Well I gave the scale in the text description, but let me see what I can do.

SkidAce SkidAce November 25, 2013
Ogre_Valley_01.png

SkidAce SkidAce November 25, 2013
(Standard 5 foot squares, so jumping to roof is 25 over, then the 60-70 down)

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 25, 2013
Should we begin the fun from up here or move down to the tower? Too bad we don’t have the Silent Breeze, or the golems.

knowledge:nature about anything to do with cerebus above and beyond the bestiary.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 25, 2013
Aeron liked the idea of using their own tower against them, but knew the goblins where a distraction. The true focus of their attack was the ogre mage that was burying Farhills in an unnatural blizzard. Fighting an ogre mage on the roof of the tower would descend to melee against a much stronger foe, something Aeron had no interest pursuing.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 25, 2013
Anyone have any idea where this tower came from…or when? It doesn’t seem local in time or place.

AFCop AFCop November 26, 2013
“I would be best of on top of that tower, or even better yet, inside through the trapdoor,” Blend offered.

SkidAce SkidAce November 26, 2013
The animal trainer brought the cerberus back to the “pet yard” and got another out. This time he walked closer to the tower and the hobgoblin guards. As he got close to the guards one of them waved him off, and he went over to the nearest fire instead.

Fortuitously for those watching, mere moments later two more hobgoblins came out of the tower and changed places with the previous guards, who went back inside.

01 Jannissary (Winter) 509 PE (Year of the Ravens)
3pm, Sunday

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 26, 2013
Aeron renewed the magic message spell and whispered to the others. " I can fly us one at a time down to the tower roof safely, or I can bring everyone down at once as a controlled crash. An alternate procedure may be to let Blend rappel down to the roof and then I can set off the fireball. Or we can just stick with Nitram’s plan to engage with bows from the cliff. What say you?"

AFCop AFCop November 27, 2013
“Let me get to the roof. Nitram is deadly with that bow and you can clear out the fodder with your fireballs. It will take them some time to get up here and Shylent and Nitram can engage any who do. Use cover to protect yourselves from their missile fire. In the confusion, I can engage any that come to the rooftop and perhaps surprise any who are left inside.”

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 27, 2013
Nitram nodded, I agree with Blend. We should let him try to take a look in the tower. We should make sure he has a good plan to withdraw if he needs it. There’s at least 2 hobgoblin guards and an ogre in there. If the situation starts going badly, how will you get out quickly? Or will you need us to come in there? I wouldn’t mind introducing the ogre magi to Kinslayer. By the way, stay away from those cerebus things. They track by scent. We will wait to do anything until Blend gives us a signal of some kind.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 27, 2013
Aeron cast a spell upon Blend. “This spell will enhance your dexterity for the climb down to the tower. It should last long enough for you to explore the tower.” (Cats Grace)

SkidAce SkidAce November 27, 2013
There were shadows here and there throughout the rocky incline. Nitram and Aeron were astonished at how adroitly Blend managed to move from one to the other. Even as he moved from one location to the other he was hard to follow, (Stealth 34) and not a rock or pebble was disturbed at his passing.

Upon reaching the edge of the tower, Blend moved cautiously towards the trapdoor that lay in the center of the roof. There was nothing or no one that could be seen, and he reached the trapdoor easily and swiftly.

AFCop AFCop November 27, 2013
Blend carefully approached the trapdoor keeping low to avoid any sentries outside below. He looked for all the usual traps, but keyed in on looking for glyphs and wards in particular, having just dealt with one recently. “I’m going to search the area and door for traps and wards. Hold tight. If and when I find anything, we can figure out how to proceed.”

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 27, 2013
Nitram moves silently to his left to get a clean shot at the tower door (AX15) and he’ll move as soon as they decided on the plan). He whispers to the others remaining on top, Shylent, help keep the wizard alive. I’m sure you want to be the one to finish him off anyway. Aeron, keep an eye on the three-headed wolf. He will most likely be the first to raise the alarm if he smells Blend.

SkidAce SkidAce November 27, 2013
From a safe distance, Blend looked cautiously for any lines or sigils that would indicate a glypg or warding placed upon the trap door. He didn’t see any, and upon checking the trapdoor closer, he determined there were no mechanical traps rigged onto it either. (Perception 26)

Blend was able to lift the trapdoor carefully and glance inside discreetly. From his position he saw nothing but a pole ladder leaning against the trap door opening, leading down toward a barren stone floor. An open stairway led downward on the southeastern wall of the room. (top of map is southeast)

Ogre_Valley_01a.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 28, 2013
Aeron, do you want to move further to the east to get a better angle on the valley? Or should we descend to the tower once Blend has secured the door? Nitram thought to himself, the good news is that if we can’t see them because of the tower, they shouldn’t be able to see us.

what is the wind direction (from/to)?

AFCop AFCop November 28, 2013
“I’ve secured the trapdoor and the top of the tower. I suggest Nitram climb and meet me so we can provide cover to you and Shylent,” Blend whispered to Aeron. “The climb down is…precipitous…so if you and Shylent can use magic to reach the tower, I would suggest it.”

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 28, 2013
Nitram moved back laterally to the group before descending to tower, attempting to follow the path that Blend took.

SkidAce SkidAce November 29, 2013
Nitram moved below the crest of the ridge and moved back towards the party. Once there, he moved over the hill and followed Blend’s course down through the gray and brown boulders towards the tower rooftop. Keeping low, moving quietly, he used his expertise in hilly terrain to choose his footsteps carefully. (Stealth 25) Nonetheless, a couple of rocks were disturbed, and they trickled down, finally bouncing lightly against the left side of the tower with a faint “click, click click” until they hit the valley floor.

The conversing hobgoblins didn’t notice, however the cerberus near the fire lifted its head and looked around. Annoyed, the goblin animal trainer jerked the leash and focused on the fire and the remnants of a meal.

Nitram made it safely the remainder of the way and joined Blend on the rooftop.

Aeron had cast his Fly spell when they discovered a dilemma. Shylent was glaring at Aeron as he tried to determine how he would carry her and fly down to the roof. It appeared she was not content to be carried “a la bride” in his arms. After several attempts at picking her up, they concluded she would hold on around his neck and ride on his back, standing behind him.

Aeron’s control of the spell was masterful (Fly 17) and they came down the slope barely above the rocky terrain, raising up at the last minute to glide over the edge wall of the roof, where Shylent expertly dropped off.

The party consolidated their forces near the center of the bluestone roof, where they were reasonably sure they would be unseen, and planned their next course of action.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 29, 2013
How do you want to do this? Do we want to keep a bow up here to slow down any reinforcements in case something goes wrong or should we all go into the tower? If the tower is more than the three floors – it goes into the rock behind us or has some basement levels – we can message whoever stays on the roof to come down.

AFCop AFCop November 29, 2013
“Leaving someone on the roof has marginal utility. Reinforcements are more likely to come from the lower levels. We can fall back to the roof if need be and defend the bottle neck created by the trapdoor.”

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 29, 2013
Nitram nodded and gestured for Blend to lead the way. Agreed.

AFCop AFCop November 29, 2013
Blend cautiously lifted up the trapdoor and made his way silently into the room below.

SkidAce SkidAce November 29, 2013
The trapdoor was lifted and laid over on its side as Blend descended into the room. Utilizing expert caution, the pole ladder didn’t even creak as Blend moved from rung to rung. (Stealth 38)

For torches provide light for the room, and as Blend had seen, there was a stairway heading down at the 1200 position of the tower (SE). The cobblestone floor was worn from time and the passage of feet. The walls has carving that vaguely resembled figures, but they also were faded and worn from the ages. Dust was prevalent everywhere, and Blend could clearly see tracks leading from the stairway to the ladder that he stood near, but the rest of the dust upon the floor was undisturbed.

Faint but deeply pitched voices and the flickering of torchlight drifted up from the the stairway into the room.

Ogre_Valley_02a.png

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 29, 2013
Aeron’s Locate Object spell had detected the ogre mage weather controlling spell components in the top floor of the strange tower (?). Aeron whispered a warning of preparation to the group and cast a few quick spells to assist them in the chaos into which they were about to descend ( cast extended extended Gravity Bow, cast ricochet shot, and cast haste on the party)

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 30, 2013
Nitram waited for Blend to descend completely before he stepped onto the stairs. Hopefully, he’ll be able to find a good spot to hide down there before they are aware of our presence. If not, I’ll at least hear the noise and can hurry down to support Nitram pondered the best weapon to start with and settled on his bow for now. He readied an arrow as the merchant descended like a ghost into the room below.

AFCop AFCop November 30, 2013
“I’ll go first. Wait here until blood starts spilling.” Blend used the shadows created by the torchlight to inch down the stairwell, hoping his natural abilities and his cloak were enough to keep him hidden from view.

Blend’s actions will depend on several things: enemies present on the next floor; how many and what kinds, including ogre magi; noticed or unnoticed; able to go invisible to remain unnoticed; able to get first strike without raising alarm if no ogre magi.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 30, 2013
When Nitram descended the landing, he drew Kinslayer and inspected the tracks between the stairs and the ladder. I may need the bonus in a few moments :)

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 30, 2013
Nitram nodded to Blend and waited patiently with his bow for some signal – intentional or not – from the floor below.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 30, 2013
Aeron lined up behind Nitram on the stairwell and waited for Blend’s whispered command to advance (holding Haste spell).

SkidAce SkidAce November 30, 2013
Blend hadn’t gone far, when he realized that the stairway was very exposed to anyone within the room. Moving quietly, (Stealth 25) he concentrated and vanished from sight. By now Nitram may have gotten used to Blend disappearing but it was still unnerving to have their point man vanish and be unable to tell where he went.

Nitram heard the characteristic rumble of ogre voices as he moved to cover Blend from above, and was glad that he and Kinslayer were ready for action. The tracks he had inspected had definitely been ogre tracks, mixed with hobgoblin, and a large…bird..?

Blend stopped short of coming completely down the stairway, and perused the room he could now see clearly.

A large fire was crackling and sending smoke up the stairway, as if it had just had logs added to it. A hobgoblin was sitting down on a stool at a large hex shaped table with his back towards Blend. Across from the hobgoblin were two brutish looking ogres, eating the scraps of some beast from off the table.

Odd golden brass colored pots were lined against the wall and all the way across the room was another stairway leading down.

Ogre_Valley_02b.png

AFCop AFCop December 01, 2013
Blend crept in between the hobgoblin and the ogre (E5) and unleashed a flurry of precise strikes on the unsuspecting hobgoblin.

OOC: + 13 to hit FF AC; 3 attacks; 3d6 + 5 each attack; If hobgoblin drops after second attack, last attack on ogre.

SkidAce SkidAce December 01, 2013
The hobgoblin captain never knew what hit him. One stab in his back through the lungs, then a final slice across his throat as he fell backwards, dead. (Att 25 15, dam 31)
Without a pause, Blend turned and slashed his blade towards the nearby ogre’s throat. The creature reared backwards in surprise, and the edge of the blade cut a great gash across its naked chest. (Att 19, dam 15) The large ogre stood precariously and bellowed in rage and surprise. “RAAAAARRGGLE”

Round 1

Name Init Status
Blend 22
Aeron 19
Ogre 01 17 bloodied
Nitram 16
Hobgoblin 11 Dying
Ogre 02 7
Shylent 4

Ogre_Valley_02c.png

SkidAce SkidAce December 01, 2013
Somehow during all the blood and killing, Blend had ended up on top of the table, almost striking a dramatic pose as he recovered his sword from its swing across the ogre’s chest.

Round 1

Name Init Status
Blend 22
Aeron 19
Ogre 01 17 bloodied
Nitram 16
Hobgoblin 11 Dying
Ogre 02 7
Shylent 4

Ogre_Valley_02d.png

AFCop AFCop December 01, 2013
Blend continued his spinning attack on the bloodied ogre, pirouetting into a double slash across the ogre’s throat, hoping to finish it off with some momentum left over to carry him into an attack on the second ogre.

5 ft step to G6, SA bloodied ogre until dead; continuing attacks on second ogre if possible.

SkidAce SkidAce December 01, 2013
The first slash didn’t quite reach the ogre’s throat, as the shifting table threw Blend’s aim off slightly, but the return stroke tore straight across the creature’s windpipe, and it fell backwards with a bubbling gurgle onto the floor. (Att 16 27, damage 15)

Regaining his balance on the table, Blend continued his swing in a long blood shedding arc towards the remaining ogre. (Att 23, dam 18)

The creature flung an arm up in reaction, and Blend’s blade tore a gash through its bicep and into its chest. A deep wound that began to bleed immediately. The startled ogre shouted out in pain “Jaffar, KREE!”

Round 1

Name Init Status
Blend 22
Aeron 19
Ogre 01 17 dying
Nitram 16
Hobgoblin 11 dying
Ogre 02 7 bloodied
Shylent 4

Ogre_Valley_02e.png

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill December 01, 2013
Aeron heard the commotion and rapidly descended the stairs (B7). Seeing Blend surrounded by ogres, Aeron released a wave of arrows from his arcane quiver at the wounded ogre. {color:orange} Gravity Bow, point blank shot, rapid shot, ricochet shot, and haste. + 9/ + 9/ + 9 to Hit and 2d8 + 4 Damage, (19 – 20 Crit x 3). The first two arrows that hit Ricochet Shot at the other ogre, if the first ogre dies next round the killing Arrow Erupts at the other ogre.

SkidAce SkidAce December 02, 2013
Aeron’s first two shots flew unerring across the room, striking the ogre center mass. The third arrow went wide to the creature’s left and clattered against the wall. (Att 17 23 15m, dam 35) The initial arrows ricoched off the brutish creature and slammed into the disabled and dying ogre, ensuring its demise.

Just as Blend was readying another deadly barrage of attacks, the ogre fell dead across the table at his feet, blood pouring from arrow holes in its chest.

The scraping of chairs and clatter of hobnailed boots resounded up the stairs from the room below.

Name Init Status
Blend 22
Aeron 19
Ogre 01 17 dying
Nitram 16
Hobgoblin 11 dying
Ogre 02 7 dead
Shylent 4

Ogre_Valley_02f.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 02, 2013
Nitram quickly descended the stairs after Aeron and moved past the wizard to the middle of the room, assessing the carnage as he went. His eyes barely paused at the dead hobgoblin, but lingered slightly longer on the two downed ogres. Filthy beasts. I only wish I had a hand in their fall. He continued moving to the other stairs, hoping to stop those below from alerting the rest of the camp.

SkidAce SkidAce December 02, 2013
We are assuming the group was hasted based on inputs

Nitram made it to the stairs and was confronted by the skull cap and armor of a hobgoblin ascending just as Nitram was descending. The gleam of the hobgoblin’s glaive was dangerously near Nitram’s face. From Nitram’s viewpoint confined to the stairwell, there was at least two more hobgoblins in the room, with one rushing to assist Nitram’s foe.

Nitram realized he would have to combat this hobgoblin before he could affect any of the others in the lower room.

(one round just Nitram and hobgoblin, then new init)

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 02, 2013
Nitram grasped Kinslayer in both hands and attempted to dispatch the hobgoblin before it realized Nitram was there. Hopefully, he’ll just fall down the stairs and take out the other one too. power attack. 1d6 bonus if his were any of the tracks Nitram saw.

SkidAce SkidAce December 02, 2013
Kinslayer bashed the glaive out of the way and came down hard on the hobgoblin’s shoulder, chopping a deep cut into its shoulder. (Att 22, dam 14)

The hobgoblin determinedly return the blow with the short handled glaive, sweeping across towards Nitram’s waist as it came up the stairs. The blow barely missed Nitram (Att 19m), and the creature continued to challenge Nitram’s advance.

Shylent ran down the stairs and past the fallen ogres, grabbing a shield one of the ogres had used as a buckler and joined Nitram at the top of the stairs. She sliced at the hobgoblin’s head, but it ducked successfully. (Att 11m)

Round 1

Name Init Status
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Hobgoblin 2
Hobgoblin 3 16
Nitram 12
Aeron 9

Ogre_Valley_02g.png

AFCop AFCop December 03, 2013
Blend leapt off the table and over the ogre that Aeron’s arrows finished off. He had a grudging respect for the elf’s proficiency with that longbow. His maneuver left him next to Nitram and above the hobgoblin on the stairwell, where he attempted to strike the creature between his neck and shoulder.

+ 1 circumstance bonus to hit for being above target, + 1 for haste.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill December 03, 2013
Aeron whispered to the party, “Let the goblins up the stairs. They will fall to the same fate as their leaders.” Aeron then mercilessly fired arrows into the dying corpses of the ogre and hobgoblin chief firing the last at the wounded hobgoblin ascending the stairs. {color:orange} Aeron delays until after the 2 arrows with 23 to hit erupt from the dead ogre at the hobgoblin ascending the stairs. He then fires 3 arrows + 10/ + 10/ + 10 to hit and 2d8 + 4 damage. Fire an arrow into the unconscious hobgoblin and ogre (intent is to kill them for 2 2 Arrow Eruptions next round). The last arrow Aeron fires at the hobgoblin ascending the stairs hopefully killing it and causing another arrow eruption.

SkidAce SkidAce December 03, 2013
(Understood Steve, doable, will resolve in init order so watch in case situation changes)

Blend leaned almost casually past Nitram and completely lopped the head of the ascending hobgoblin. (Att 32c, dam 23) The head then continued up the stairs, bouncing messily at Shylent’s feet. The body continued to swing at Nitram, but then it slowly toppled over onto the floor at his feet.

Obviously the hobgoblin at the foot of the stairs had been playing dragon dice with its fellow soldiers, because it vainly threw the inscribed cup and dice at Shylent and Nitram, and then turned and fled out of sight. The cup hit Nitram in the chest, and several dice bounced out and scattered about the floor and stairs.

Round 1

Name Init Status
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Hobgoblin 2 17 dead
Hobgoblin 3 16
Nitram 12
Aeron 9

Ogre_Valley_02h.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 03, 2013
Don’t leave yet, the party’s just beginning, Nitram said to himself as he hastily moved down the steps, surveying the main floor as he did.

Are there any other targets on the main floor? If not, Nitram will catch up to the fleeing HG and 2-handed PA w/ Kinslayer. If there are, I may do something different.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 03, 2013
Blend is especially effective today. Maybe I should study with the monks…nah

SkidAce SkidAce December 03, 2013
Apparently focused on the fleeing hobgoblin, Nitram failed to see one of his kin using the space under the stairs to lie in wait. (Per 13) The hobgoblin cackled in glee as it jabbed at Nitram with the pointy end of its glaive. (Att 23, dam 8) The sharp edge of the weapon caught Nitram on the outside of his right thigh as he came off the stairway.

Name Init Status
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Hobgoblin 2 17 dead
Hobgoblin 3 16 fleeing
Hobgoblin 5 12
Nitram 12
Aeron 9

Ogre_Valley_02i.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 03, 2013
So the doors are open, huh. I’m guessing Nitram can see the hobgoblin guard…? What’s the blue circular thingy?

There’s one at the bottom of the stairs. The door is open. Looks like we’ll have company soon. Nitram turned, bringing his full power down on the sneaky hobgoblin. + 9/1d6+14, +1d6 if tracked

SkidAce SkidAce December 03, 2013
Nitram’s blade snapped the head off of the glaive and continued on to disembowel the astonished hobgoblin. (Att 26, dam 17) The poor thing grabbed its guts and fell over.

Nitram’s gaze swept over the room and past what was apparently a well, to settle on the sole remaining hobgoblin that confronted him.

(Steve do you want to mod your actions?)

Name Init Status
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Hobgoblin 2 17 dead
Hobgoblin 3 16 fleeing
Hobgoblin 5 12
Nitram 12
Aeron 9
Hobgoblin 4 7

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 03, 2013
Nitram, in his haste, spoke quickly to the rest of the group, No longer one at the bottom of the stairs. No sign of any ogres, only a couple more hobgoblins and a well. I suggest Aeron move to the roof and try to find that ogre magi or use his bow. I can hold here with Shylent until we need to pull back. This tower is pretty safe – we can barricade the door and pick off the rest from the top with bows…or we can charge out of here and kill them all until we find the magi. Are we sure it wasn’t one of the two Blend killed upstairs? That might take a little more than 6 seconds to say

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill December 04, 2013
Aeron agreed with Nitram. The groups progress down the tower was too rapid for the arrow eruptions to engage any enemies. Aeron did a quick look at the ogres and hobgoblin on the second floor to determine if any of them where the ogre magi. (If one of them appears to be the caster he finish them off…if not he will move to an. Arrow slit around C3 and fire arrows at the fleeing hobgoblin. If there are no arrow slits Aeron will Haste Fly up to top floor C3 and fire arrows at the fleeing hobgoblin and anyone else in the area + 10/ + 10/ + 10 Hit, + 2 circumstance bonus for height and 2d8 + 4 Dmg.

SkidAce SkidAce December 04, 2013
Aeron’s quick assessment of the slain ogres was easy, both of them were brute types, fit as bodyguards or warriors. Seeing no windows on this level (although there was something odd about the walls) Per 25 he flew back up the stairway and then past the ladder onto the roof. Fly 27

Aeron’s first arrow hit the ground between the fleeing hobgoblin’s feet, but the second one hit the creature in the center of its armored back, punching clean into its chest. (Att 14m, 21h, d14)

Looking over the area, Aeron could tell that the (normally quiet during the day) goblins had been disturbed by the bellowing of the ogres. There was also a slight wind and the rustling of leaves.

The hobgoblin facing Nitram spoke sincerely in trade tongue, “May the Black Sun blind your eyes, human!” as it stepped forward and cleaved at Nitram futilely with its glaive. (Att 11m)

Shylent joined Nitram on the first floor and by the grumbling Nitram heard at his back, was apparently frustrated by her inability to get past Nitram.

Round 2

Name Init Status
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Hobgoblin 2 17 dead
Hobgoblin 3 16 fleeing, bloodied
Hobgoblin 5 12 dead
Nitram 12
Aeron 9
Hobgoblin 4 7

SkidAce SkidAce December 04, 2013
Ogre_Valley_03_1.png

Ogre_Valley_03_2.png

Ogre_Valley_03_3.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 04, 2013
for Nitram’s turn, he’ll attack the HG in front of him. Since he’s hasted, he gets 2 attacks. If the first one drops it, he’ll move to engage the HG outside, trying to leave room for Shylent. If he makes two attacks, he’ll take a 5’ step to J4

AFCop AFCop December 05, 2013
Blend leapt past Shylent and landed on the stairs below her briefly before springing up and planting a foot on the tower wall to change his direction rapidly and land next to the wounded goblin waiting at the bottom of the stairs. He used his cloak to cover his blade until the last minute, when he lashed out at the hobgoblin, hoping to finish him off quickly.

Tumble to J6 and attack the hobgoblin. + 1 circumstance bonus from Haste. If HG at J6 is down, move to J4 and attack.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 05, 2013
HG at J6 is down

SkidAce SkidAce December 05, 2013
Blend’s leap past Shylent and off the wall put him in the perfect position to attack the remaining hobgoblin. (Tumble 29) His blade came out from under his cloak as he landed lightly on the stone floor and swiped across the hobgoblin’s torso, drawing blood and exposing muscle, and very nearly killing the creature. (Att 32c, d16)

Nitram also engaged the hapless creature that had cursed him in the name of the “Black Sun”. His scimitar slashed downwards across the shoulder of the severely wounded hobgoblin, finishing it off by splitting it completely in two. (Att 23c, d17)

Nitram then moved quickly across the room to engage the fleeing hobgoblin, and prepare to close the doors with iron bar brace laying to the left.

Round 2

Name Init Status
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Hobgoblin 2 17 dead
Hobgoblin 3 16 fleeing, bloodied
Hobgoblin 5 12 dead
Nitram 12
Aeron 9
Hobgoblin 4 7 dead

Ogre_Valley_04_1.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 05, 2013
I doubt that ogre is going to come to us. We need to get out there and find him. Shylent, let’s finish off the ones in the valley! And more to himself, Nitram said, and find that other ogre.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 05, 2013
assuming you wouldn’t let me move from d2 to c1? to allow shylent a chance to contribute?

SkidAce SkidAce December 05, 2013
(Attack of Opportunity from hobgoblin?)

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill December 05, 2013
Aeron replied, “Draw in the soldiers and the general will appear.” Aeron released a wave of arrows from the top of the tower towards goblins in the closest encampment.

SkidAce SkidAce December 06, 2013
Aeron’s wave of arrows sliced down from the tower top towards the goblins that were in his point blank range. The deadly elven arrows each killed a goblin with one blow, punching clean through their bodies and skewering them to the ground. (Att 30c, 20, 18, killed by min dam)

Following Nitram’s lead, Shylent moved up next to him and picked up the iron bar in order to secure the tower. When Nitram hollered for her to follow him into the camp, she stopped and glared at him, tapping her new shield against the wall thoughtfully.

Round 3

Name Init Status
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Hobgoblin 3 16 fleeing, bloodied
Goblins 13
Nitram 12
Aeron 9

Ogre_Valley_05_4.png

Ogre_Valley_05_1.png

SkidAce SkidAce December 06, 2013
From Blend’s current location on the first floor of the tower, it appeared to him that this room was used a quarters for the hobgoblin guards, and storage of common supplies.

The table upstairs on the second floor had been set up similar to a meeting table, and there had been some kind of desk or work table to the left.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 06, 2013
Skid, can shylent not attack the HG from that spot?

SkidAce SkidAce December 06, 2013
(Grids can deceive, I suppose she could have.)

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 06, 2013
I was just expecting her to attack based on all the previous grumbling about my large stature. Plus, it would open the door up enough for us to go out and kill more things.

SkidAce SkidAce December 07, 2013
Shylent appeared quite dubious about Nitram’s plan to go out and “slaughter the camp”. She did drop the bar though.

AFCop AFCop December 07, 2013
Blend moved back up the stairs to see if he could determine exactly what was strange about the walls on the floor above.

SkidAce SkidAce December 07, 2013
Blend looked at the walls and realized the under each of the four torches was a large square of smooth stone the size and shape of a window, about 3 feet tall and 5 feet wide. There was just the slightest variation between the wall and the stone (maybe a quarter of an inch). After looking at the wall for a few seconds Blend noticed the faintest of scratch marks buried under the dust of years.

By pushing the stone, as if to raise it up like a window, there was a faint click and the stone shifted another quarter of an inch away from Blend and then of its own accord raise up and disappeared into a crack in the wall.

Blend was now staring outside, looking across at the goblin camp and down on the goblin that Nitram was fighting just outside the door. From this “window” Blend could see at least another dozen goblins starting to emerge from tents. He also hear a rustling, like that of leaves in a wind.

The foe Nitram was pursuing continued to withdraw from combat, fleeing past the campfire and screaming in panic.

The goblin animal trainer released the chain of his cerberus and ran across Nitram and Shylent’s field of view, apparently headed to the animal pen. The cerberus he had let loose ran straight towards Nitram and began to paw and bite at him. The first two heads to bite at Nitram missed him (Att 9, 6) but the third head got a solid chunk out of Nitram’s forearm, its foul breath gusting over the gash it had created. (Att 24, 8 dam)

Round 3

Name Init Status
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Hobgoblin 3 16 fleeing, bloodied
Goblins 13
Nitram 12
Aeron 9

Ogre_Valley_06_1.png

SkidAce SkidAce December 07, 2013
Ogre_Valley_06_4.png

SkidAce SkidAce December 07, 2013
(Goblin Animal trainer is in AD33, forgot to move him before exporting pic)

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 07, 2013
Nitram attacks the cerebus then steps back 5’, You know, Shylent, on second thought maybe we should close this door.

2 attacks because he’s hasted. +2 vs. abberrations – I think a cerebus would qualify. If he manages to drop it with the first hit, he’ll use his movement turn to step back and close the door. Otherwise 2 attacks and step back. Hopefully the 6 erupting arrows should do some damage. and by “step back” I mean withdraw

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill December 08, 2013
Aeron looked over his right shoulder and saw two feral woman with battered wings and taloned feet swooping at him. He turned his bow on the one on the far right and unleashed two quick arrows then stepped boldly off the edge of the tower and descended into the secret window Blend just opened below. *{color:orange} Arrows, + 1 hit Point Blank, + 1 Hit Haste and 2d8 + 4 Dmg.

SkidAce SkidAce December 08, 2013
Nitram managed to get to full strikes on the furious cerberus. (Att 17, 19, dam 27) The animal gave a large groan of pain and fell across the doorway. As Nitram took a step back, Shylent shoved the door shut and leaned against it, looking pointedly at the bar next to Nitram’s feet.

Aeron’s first shot at the vile creature went wild and flew off into the air and the distant hills, where there was a howl of anger. Apparently he had hit another cerberus. His second arrow hit the feral woman he was aiming at in the wing, causing her to dip slightly in the air for a moment. (Att 11f, 21, dam 12)

Aeron managed to change direction and landed in the tower next to Blend quite adroitly. (Fly 28) They both heard a thump below as Shylent shoved the tower door closed. They then saw a burst of arrows leap from the corpses of the goblin Aeron’s bow had slain the round earlier.

Every goblin within 30 feet of the previously slain creatures was struck by at least one or two arrows from the arrow eruption and slain where they stood.

Blend and Aeron also smelled a faint stench and heard the scrabblng of claws from the rooftop.

(corpse 1, att 26, min dam kills)
(corpse 2, att 24, min dam kills)
(corpse 3, att 19, min dam kills)

Round 4

Name Init Status
Harpies 21
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Hobgoblin 3 16 fleeing, bloodied
Goblins 13
Nitram 12
Aeron 9

SkidAce SkidAce December 08, 2013
Ogre_Valley_07_4.png

Ogre_Valley_07_1.png

Ogre_Valley_07_2.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 08, 2013
Nitram whispered to those on the floor above him, Blend, Aeron. We’ve closed the door down here and can bar it if we need to. Are you still on the roof? Can you tell where the ogre is? What other threats are out there?

AFCop AFCop December 08, 2013
Blend attempted to pick off the fleeing hobgoblin with his short bow.

Two arrows, + 1 to hit due to haste, + 1 to hit due to height. Engage second target, i.e. goblin, if first arrow drops hobgoblin.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 08, 2013
Blend? Blend, are you still here? What’s going on up there?

SkidAce SkidAce December 08, 2013
Blend’s first shot took the hobgoblin in the small of the back and dropped him as he ran forward. (Att 27, dam 6) His second arrow arched out at a goblin just past his first target, but the arrow fell short, hitting the ground between the goblin’s feet. (Att 15)

At least another six goblins poured out of their tents, shaking their fists and blinking from the sunshine. Blend and Aeron also noticed that the goblins happened to have at least two ballistas, as they were wheeled out from under the tarps and set up facing the tower.

Round 4

Name Init Status
Harpies 21
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Hobgoblin 3 16 dead
Goblins 13
Nitram 12
Aeron 9

Ogre_Valley_08_4.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 08, 2013
Wow, they were prepared. Which one of those “goblins” is the ogre magi?

Nitram picked up the iron bar and locked them in the tower. I hope this isn’t a mistake As he turned to go up the stairs, he said to Shylent, I’m going to make sure those other two are still alive and see if I can pick off anything from the roof. Can you stay here and keep an eye on the door? Just in case they managed to break back in, I’d like a little warning.
Nitram, still hasted, ran up towards the roof. As he reached the middle floor, he saw Blend and Aeron looking out a window. What the… Aeron, why aren’t you on the roof? No sooner had he gotten the words out of his mouth than he heard the scrabbling above them.

Is the door to the roof locked? If it is locked, Nitram will move as close to one of the windows as he can (I don’t think I have enough movement to make it there and fire) to fire his bow next round. If it isn’t locked, Nitram will continue running (double move) as close to the hatch as he can, switching weapons to the MW greatsword, planning to engage them next turn. Sorry about the extra posts, forgot we have limited movement, even when hasted.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill December 08, 2013
Aeron whispered to Nitram, “I wouldn’t go up there. There are 2 bird women on the roof and they look ready to devour some elf flesh.” Aeron turned his attention back to the goblins and fored another salvo of arrows to thin their ranks. Haste, Rapid Shot arrows at goblins in AA17, X19, and X28.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 08, 2013
I’m assuming you secured the door so they don’t come down the same way we did? Nitram questioned before moving to the “window” across from them. How did you get this open? Nitram attempted to open the window on the northeast side D9 and then readied his bow to fire at anything he could see.

SkidAce SkidAce December 09, 2013
After a few words from Blend, Nitram pushed the window appropriately and the stone slide up and out of the way. He immediately saw the goblin animal traininer disappear into the brush near what they had assumed was the animal pen. To Nitram’s left he could see a group of goblins huddled behind a tent fiddling with something. Only one of those goblins presented a clear shot, so Nitram took it. The goblin thought he had cover so Nitram found the shot a little easier than normal.

When Nitram’s arrow hit the goblin it went straight through his throat and out the other side into the ground. The goblin paused for a moment, turned towards the tower and then collapsed. (Att 16, mdk) The other goblins grabbed what appeared to be gourds or small squashes and retreated behind the tent.

Aeron’s arrows walked their way across the battlefield like a wave of destruction. The goblins on the far left and center of his field of fire were slain instantly. The goblin on the right must of stumbled at the last moment, because the third arrow flew just above its head, missing it. (Att 21, 16, 14, dam mdk, mdk, miss)

From the first floor the group heard the slamming of the iron bar across the door and something that sounded like “Scheißdreck, moronic, grumble grumble…” and then the pounding of goblins trying to break down the door.

From Blend and Aeron’s viewpoint on the second floor window, it was apparent there was no danger of those goblins busting down that door.

Round 5

Name Init Status
Harpies 21
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Goblins 13
Nitram 12
Aeron 9

SkidAce SkidAce December 09, 2013
Ogre_Valley_09_4.png

AFCop AFCop December 09, 2013
Blend looked at Nitram expectantly and said “Roof?”

AFCop AFCop December 09, 2013
If Nitram confirms he will be following, Blend will head up to the roof and attack the nearest winged thing.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 09, 2013
Nitram smiled. Absolutely. Stowing his bow, the ranger drew his greatsword and followed Blend up the stairs.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill December 09, 2013
Aeron could feel the magical acceleration dissipating. He gave a nod to the two companions climbing the ladder into the harpey’s nest. “I’ll meet you on the roof. Try to draw them away from the edge of the tower near my window.”

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 10, 2013
Nitram whispered the barbarian, Shylent, we’re headed up to the roof to deal with some harpies. Before heading upstairs, Nitram tried to block sound from his ears with spare bits of cloth and cooled candle wax. And suggests Blend do the same. Just in case they start singing.

SkidAce SkidAce December 10, 2013
Blend moved gracefully up to the third floor via the stairway. The trap door to the roof was open, and the ladder was still in place. Above, coming from the open trap door was the sound of beautiful feminine voices, chatting and giggling. Blend considered how he wanted to approach heading up the ladder and onto the open roof. Especially if there were good looking girls up there in danger from the viscous harpies!

Nitram stood beside Blend as they considered their approach. He heard an aswering “Hmmpth” from Shylent.

(Still technically Blend’s init, as he would have enough movement to go up the ladder, but possibly not enough to reach any specific spot on the roof)

Round 5

Name Init Status
Harpies 21
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Goblins 13
Nitram 12
Aeron 9

AFCop AFCop December 11, 2013
Blend moved up to the ladder and vanished from sight before climbing up it. Once on top, assessed the situation before moving in to deliver the first blow.

SkidAce SkidAce December 11, 2013
As Blend arrived on the roof, he instantly saw that the harpies had split up for some reason. They were perched on the edge of the roof, looking over the side and back over their shoulders at the trap door. They both seemed to be talking to themselves, and from each of them Blend could hear the voices of the beautiful girls, still giggling and laughing. The sound of the girl’s voices had a hypnotic effect but Blend was able to focus past it. (Will 17) Blend saw the harpy Aeron had shot earlier to the left and he headed in that direction.

Nitram saw Blend disappear (literally) up the ladder. He moved up the ladder and immediately saw the hideous harpies on either side. The very faint voice of the beautiful girl to his right (muffled by the candle wax and rags stuffed quickly in his ears) (Will 12 + 4). sounded entrancing, but he knew from lore that this was an effect of the vile creatures and shrugged it off.

(enough movement left to be in any square around the ladder)

(Nitram can no longer hear the message spell, rp accordingly)

Round 5

Name Init Status
Harpies 21
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Goblins 13
Nitram 12
Aeron 9

Ogre_Valley_10_4.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 11, 2013
Nitram, pretending to be “entranced” lowered his sword – but was still ready mentally – hoping the harpy would come to him.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill December 11, 2013
Aeron released another wave of arrows to hold the goblins at bay {color:orange} W24, N24, N30. Last 2 are – 2 for second range increment.

AFCop AFCop December 11, 2013
Blend stepped up to the harpy next to him and flurried with his blade.

SkidAce SkidAce December 11, 2013
(Did you mean W22?)

The two goblins Aeron had fired at past the campfire fell to the swift assault of his elvish bow. Aeron’s first target, the nearer of the goblins, squeaked and ducked behind the tent when he noticed Aeron aiming from the second floor window, and Aeron’s shot subsequently missed. (Att 13m, 26h, 29h, dam mdk, mdk)

Arrows erupted from the two corpses slain by arrows the round previously and burst out in all directions, slaying three more goblins where they stood. (Att 17, 19, dam mdk)

The harpy to the left of the tower continued to hum and sing as she turned and noticed Nitram. The other harpy leaped into the air and proceeded to lunge at the presumably entranced Nitram with clawed feet extended. Nitram however was ready and swung Kinslayer as the creature loomed closer. (Readied action)

Kinslayer tore a chunk out of the harpy’s lower thigh as it approached. (Att 24h, dam 8) The vile creature’s stench washed over Nitram as it continued its assault unabated. The huge chicken like claws ripped another gash across Nitram’s already scored armor (Att 23c, 19m, dam 8) as it flew by.

Round 6

Name Init Status
Nitram 21
Harpies 21
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Goblins 13
Aeron 9

Ogre_Valley_11_4.png

Ogre_Valley_11_4b.png

SkidAce SkidAce December 12, 2013
Blend took a single step towards the already injured harpy and blurred into visibility as he struck with his blade. A quick swipe from side to side put the harpy on the defensive and tore chunks of rotten flesh from its sides and gut. (Att 27h, 17h, dam 29)

The grievous wound from Aeron’s first shot at the vile female, combined with Blend’s precision attack, mortally wounded the harpy and it crumbled to the ground, its harmonic singing trailing off into a feeble screech.

Both ballistas fired their bolts at Aeron’s second story window, but they smashed uselessly far onto either side of the window. The goblins shook their fists and cranked several dials in preparation for another shot.

Round 6

Name Init Status
Nitram 21
Harpy 21
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Goblins 13
Aeron 9

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 12, 2013
Cover your ears, Blend. Nitram cautioned. I’m guessing the other one is about to start singing. Nitram prepared to switch to his bow and begin firing. Nitram whispered to the others, Aeron, there’s a harpy flying around out here…in case you’d like to try your luck shooting while flying. She’s just north of the tower. Shylent, most of the goblins are dead, there’s one harpy flying around. She hasn’t started singing yet, but I think she’ll be focused on us. I think you should come out and either neutralize the ballista or check out the cave where they were keeping the beasts. It may be more than we think. Or start checking the tents. We should have the harpy taken care of soon. _And by we, it’ll probably be some of Aeron’s arrows.*

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill December 12, 2013
Aeron shrunk back as the ballista bolts struck the tower with reverberating force. Aeron took aim at the goblins in the ballistas and fired an arrow at each.

SkidAce SkidAce December 12, 2013
It appeared the spirits of Corellon and Solonor had been vying with each other to influence Aeron’s skill this day.

Aeron’s first arrow flew toward the ballista and caught the goblin as it leaned out to make a correction. The second arrow flew straight and true past the ballista bow and the splinter guard and caught the goblin square in the forehead as it crouched behind the device. Both goblins fell dead instantly. (Att 19h, 29c, mdk)

Nitram had only moments to take a shot at the remaining harpy, as it was beating wings for the hills.

(End of init after Nitram unless you plan on chasing the harpy, its going to double move with an 80’ flight.)

Round 7

Name Init Status
Nitram 21
Harpy 21
Shylent 19
Blend 17
Goblins 13
Aeron 9

SkidAce SkidAce December 12, 2013
(Via text)

Nitram dropped his sword and fired two arrows at the swiftly departing harpy. Both arrows hit the unlucky creature, injuring it so severely that it was unable to fly. (Att 24h, 27h, dam 19)

The harpy crash landed in a tree to Nitram’s left, in the general direction of the animal pen, and he lost sight of it among the branches and dead leaves.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 13, 2013
We should probably start looking for the ogre. I’d like to check out the animal pen over there before we head into any tents. Nitram slung his bow and picked up Kinslayer before heading down to the main floor, fully expecting to see both the wizard and the merchant on the ground when he exited. The elf will probably fly down and the human is likely to just jump he thought to himself realizing that very little has begun to awe him about those two. Everything they do seems fairly amazing. Shylent, we’re coming down. The valley is pretty much cleared out. We need to find the ogre.

I lost count, but I’m assuming there are enough arrows erupting to take out the remaining goblins. Nitram will cautiously and slowly head towards the animal pen, watching both the tents and looking for ogre tracks.

SkidAce SkidAce December 13, 2013
Shylent unbarred the door, and the two of them stepped over the carcass of the cerberus and the arrow impaled corpses of the goblins. In the distance at the edge of the valley, one or two remaining goblins could be seen fleeing the devastation, their morale heavily shaken by the seemingly inexplicable carnage.

Nitram and Shylent made their way cautiously towards the animal pens. Nitram did not see any ogre tracks in the vicinity of the tower or headed in the direction of the pens. Belatedly, he did recall a group of goblins with gourds doing something shady behind the first tent as he heard a sizzling sound and Shylent gave him a brutal shove from behind. (Per 13)

The tent to their left exploded into a ball of fire and force, with the blast shoving Shylent roughly against the tower wall, and pushing Nitram tumbling to the ground. (Shylent Ref 8, dam 13, Nitram Ref 24, dam 6)

Ogre_Valley_12.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 13, 2013
Thanks for the shove, Shylent. Nitram whispered. Then he pointed at the barbarian and gestured for her to go left around the tent and he would go right.* Nitram stood up and proceeded to move around the right side of the tent. I don’t know how anything could have escaped all those arrows.

SkidAce SkidAce December 13, 2013
As the two warriors rounded the tent, they saw the bodies of two goblins, one of them the one Nitram had slain with an arrow, the other a victim of Aeron’s assault. In the distance scrambling over the edge of the hillside were two other goblins wearing red hats. As they crested the hill, one turned back momentarily to see the effect of the “BOOM” and spying Nitram and Shylent, flipped them a one fingered salute, then proceeded behind the hilltop.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 13, 2013
Nitram made a mental note of their direction of travel. I’ll deal with you two later. He continued toward the animal pen, stopping briefly to dispatch the dying harpy.

It looks like the harpy is still alive. If Nitram can get a decent shot, he’ll start with the bow so he doesn’t get too close. Single shot w/ deadly aim + 7/1d8+10

SkidAce SkidAce December 14, 2013
The treed harpy began to sing as Nitram and Shylent approached. Nitram still had the cloth and candle wax in his ears and casually shrugged off the affects. (Will 24)

Shylent just stared at the creature and snorted. “Hmmpth”

It was easy enough to put another couple of arrows into the vile creature until it fell from the tree, at which point Shylent firmly lopped off its head. And then looked at her longsword with a expression of vague disgust.

When Shylent and Nitram made it to the animal pen, they could see that there had been three wooden makeshift kennels in the lot. Near the last lot to the left, there was the tail end of one of Aeron’s arrows that looked like it had been bitten in half. And a little pool of cerberus blood. And tracks that indicated to Nitram that the cerberus here had been at least twice the size of the one they had seen and slain earlier.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 December 14, 2013
What do you think? Should we follow this one and see where it leads us? Nitram looked around the pen to make sure the “cave” didn’t go back into the cliff any more. Then, he slowly turned and began walking back towards the other two. Blend, Aeron; there are bloody tracks of a much larger Cerberus leading out of their pen. And two goblin engineers fled back over that hill. Do either of you have a preference on clearing the tents first or tracking the beast. I’m concerned the bigger one may be guarding the ogre.
Nitram waited patiently for a response.

Comments

SkidAce

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.