Blood of the Throne part 6

SkidAce SkidAce September 26, 2014
A misty fog covered the rocky ground. Far off in the featureless distance, on the edge of sight and out of the corner of your eyes, was a flickering flame like disturbance.
The faint, almost inaudible sounds of battle came from all around, swords clashing, screams of pain, and distant monstrous roars.
“Where am I?” was the immediate thought. Vague images of goblins, mines, and rainbows cascaded across your mind.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 October 22, 2014
Nitram stood and looked around, trying to shake the visions out of his mind and focus on the here and now. Concerned about the battle sounds, he looked around for his companions and to the air for Serre. He clutched at his crystal pendant, hoping the sprite was still with him.

SkidAce SkidAce October 22, 2014
As the mist trailed cloyingly around his feet, there was no sign of any of Nitram’s companions, nor was there any sign of Serre.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 October 22, 2014
Nitram was obviously confused and a little on edge. “What in the name of Rillifane is going on?” he thought. Trying to compose himself, he relied on the training he received from Gardain. As he checked over his supplies, especially his weapons and armor, he said a quick prayer to Rillifane asking for guidance. He focused on his breathing, finding calm in inventorying his gear and assessing his surroundings. I assume he sill has Kinslayer… he draws it and looks for tracks – any tracks

SkidAce SkidAce October 23, 2014
Nitram found it hard to focus on his gear and supplies. After the quick review and prayer, he began to look for tracks.
Looking around the semi-rocky featureless terrain he found himself in, he found no tracks of any sort. As he looked behind himself and the area he had traveled, he noticed even his tracks were slowly fading away into nothingness. Looking up from the ground where the last of his tracks had dissipated, Nitram was startled to see Blend standing behind him.

SkidAce SkidAce October 23, 2014
Some feet away from the two companions was another figure, dressed in gray and almost fading into the mists that surrounded it. The figure held an unearthly staff that momentarily gave off waves of power before it faded and became gray like the figure.
mmartin_10 mmartin_10 October 24, 2014
Nitram stepped toward the gray figure, “Aeron?” Looking back to make sure Blend was still there and not some figment of his imagination. “Blend, are you real? We’re not dead are we?”

SkidAce SkidAce October 24, 2014
To Nitram’s view as he stepped closer, it was indeed Aeron, but the wizard may not have heard the ranger’s greeting, because he had not replied yet.
Neither had Blend replied, which was really starting to get to Nitram. A hand reached from behind Nitram and grabbed his shoulder.
It was Shylent, who looked at the figure of Aeron and then turned to Nitram, shrugging her shoulders.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 October 24, 2014
Impressive reading of my character

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 October 25, 2014
Nitram struggled to align his senses with his consciousness. He could see some of the others, and yet he still felt alone. Were they really there or am I just imagining them. I may just be floating through the ether?" Shylent’s touch brought him back to reality (hopefully). “Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me,” he thought as she shrugged her shoulders. He reached out to grab Aeron since it was likely Blend wasn’t really there anyway.

AFCop AFCop October 26, 2014
Blend simply shrugged at Nitram’s inquiry. He looked from the ranger and the newly arrived barbarian, expressionless before scanning the the rest of the misty area, taking in the rest of their strange environment.

SkidAce SkidAce October 26, 2014
Nitram was able to grab Aeron (for it was indeed Aeron standing there), but there was no response from the wizard. It was almost as if the spellcaster was in a walking coma.
There was a rushing sound as something large, yet unseen flew overhead, the wind from its wings blowing and scattering the mists. The sounds of battle were getting closer, and the monstrous groans of something could be heard close within the mist. There was the sound of charging feet, and a unit of goblins came rushing across the semi-rocky terrain, going past the startled group and disappearing into the fog.
From the direction the goblin unit had went there was a crashing sound and cries of pain and anger. But there was no time to investigate, as three goblins riding some type of large horse sized lizard came out of the mists. They from the same direction as the goblin unit had and stopped about 100 feet away, pointing at the group with their spears. Behind the goblins, still hidden in the fog, was a larger, more ominous humanoid figure.

SkidAce SkidAce October 26, 2014
(Setting up displays late tonight at work, RP, and I will roll init based on your actions in the morning. There is no special terrain here, atm.)
the_app the_app October 26, 2014
Good luck u guys

xLucix xLucix October 27, 2014
Frederick woke up in a dream. It was hardly the first time he had done such a thing; one of the side effects of living near the Library. While this did not have quite the same feel as he was used to, Frederick knew to be on guard.
He wondered if any of his companions had crossed over as well. Knowing that the universe loved having more pieces to play with, he believed that they had.
Then he heard the goblins’ battle sounds, followed by their cries of pain, and he thought he knew when they were. [color:green]“Son of a landshark,” he muttered aloud, trying to recall anything he could about traversing dreamscapes.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 October 27, 2014
finally! something to kill
does Nitram believe that the “larger, more ominous humanoid figure” is an ogre?
Nitram draws his bow as he activated his boots of speed. Drawing an arrow to his bow, he began firing at the lizard-riding goblins who dared to point their spears at the group. I should have at least 3 (possibly 4) attacks at the goblins: 2 normal attacks + 1 atk for hasted + 1 atk for horde breaker (if 2 creatures are within 5’ of each other, I get a bonus attack); + 10 atk, 1d8+5 dmg each. He’ll start with the goblins and if he manages to kill all of them, he’ll move on to one of the lizards. he will move also, but it’ll depend on what he manages to drop.

SkidAce SkidAce October 27, 2014
(The larger figure has a distinctive hint of ogre to it, yes.)

SkidAce SkidAce October 27, 2014
Initiative in 5e is done much like other d20, with subtle terminology changes. The Init roll is a Dexterity Check. Roll a d20 and add Dex mod. Blend also added a + 5 for the Alert feat.
Round 1
Name Init Status
Nitram 28
Blend 23
Shylent 21
Goblin Riders 20
Rumil 19
Aeron 16
Frederick 14
mmartin_10 mmartin_10 October 27, 2014
Nitram has alert feat as well…does this mean he actually beat Blend’s init? I love 5e!

SkidAce SkidAce October 27, 2014
The first of the goblin riders (1) ducked just as Nitram’s arrow breezed over its head. It started the characteristic goblin laughter when Nitram missed, but soon stopped as the 2nd and 3rd arrows took both of the other goblin riders in the chest, slaying them.

(Target AC: 15, 14/miss, 17/12 damage, and 25/9 damage)

Nitram’s skill at breaking enemy lines had allowed him to draw and aim another arrow. He held the arrow for a second, deciding whether to target one of the leathery skinned mounts or the remaining goblin, who was no longer laughing.

giant_lizard_komodo.jpg

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 October 27, 2014
Nitram called to the others in the group, “Looks like there’s an ogre behind the lizards! Keep an eye out for more goblins.” He fired at the remaining goblin and called for what he assumed was the griffon, “Serre! Down here.”

SkidAce SkidAce October 27, 2014
Nitram’s last arrow barely hit the remaining goblin as it was turning to retreat. However the arrow caught the unlucky creature in the side, slaying it. Att 15, 10 damage) Nitram’s call for Serre resounded through the mists, and the group could hear the change in the wing beat as the creature that had flown by turned and came back towards the group. The riding lizard the hapless goblin had been on imediately turned and began to eat its former rider. The other two lizards looked at the party with hungry anticipation.

Round 1

Name Init Status
Nitram 28
Blend 23
Shylent 21
Goblin Riders 20
Rumil 19
Aeron 16
Frederick 14

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill October 28, 2014
Aeron summoned his arcane insight to strike the rider less lizard with his longbow. (True Strike and the archery -5 hit + 10 dam)

SkidAce SkidAce October 28, 2014
Blend moved forward about six paces (20 feet) , unlimbering his shortbow as he went. Oddly, as he paused to fire his arrows, he discovered that he had crouched next to a small rocky outcropping that would provide some cover from the eager lizards.

Blend’s first arrow hit the lead lizard (2) directly in the forehead, eliciting a low hiss of pain from the creature that exposed its carnivorous teeth. His second arrow went wide to the left and disappeared into the mist.
(Target AC 13, Att 16; 10 dmg / Att 10; miss)

Shylent moved forward with Blend, readying her longsword and her shield, standing just a pace to his front left, waiting for one of the lizards to move forward. (Ready, lizard move within range)

The two approaching lizards (2, 3) moved rapidly forward, covering half the distance to the group. (50 feet from group, 30 feet from Shylent and Blend) The other lizard (1) continued to eat the remains of its unfortunate rider.

Round 1

Name Init Status
Nitram 28
Blend 23
Shylent 21 ready
Goblin Riders 20
Rumil 19
Aeron 16
Frederick 14

SkidAce SkidAce October 28, 2014
Frederick wasn’t too sure about dreamscapes. The cries of pain as the goblins fell seemed real enough. And the actions of the lizard in eating its former rider gave Frederick some flashbacks to the feeding frenzy he had seen involving landsharks, as the creature tore into the flesh of the goblin with its carnivorous teeth.

To the others, it seemed like Frederick had just come out of nowhere, suddenly appearing at the rear of the group as they engaged the goblin riders. This just added to the surrealness of the landscape, and its terrain. Terrain which oddly enough, was starting to firm up and show evidence of a rocky desert with slight hills and ravines.

SkidAce SkidAce October 28, 2014
Leggs, going to breakdown what I see on your sheet to help outline how things work for everybody, correct me if I’m wrong, if not I will use these stats on your init

To Hit Mod Total Damage Total
Proficiency + 3 + 3 1d10 + 1 1d10 + 1
Dex + 4 + 7 + 4 1d10 + 5
Archery + 2 + 9
Hood + 1 + 10
Oathbow + 1 + 11 +1 1d10 + 6
Sharpshooter – 5 + 6 + 10 1d10 + 16
Fighter class getting two feats by 7th (and another at 8th if you forego ability improvements is nice huh?

SkidAce SkidAce October 29, 2014
There was a horrendous roar from the large ominous figure just out of sight in the mist. The swirling mist made it difficult to see, but the figure looked as if it was tossing something at the party.

The object flew in a high arc into the air and landed near the feet of the ranger Nitram. It appeared to be the dead body of an elderly man, someone none of the other members of the group recognized.

But Nitram did…it was Gardain.

SkidAce SkidAce October 29, 2014
Rumil, Aeron, and Frederick are up. I have Aeron’s inputs, unless he wants to change them.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 October 29, 2014
nitram will kill the ogre on his next turn

Nitram clutched the crystal housing the sprite and let out a sound that was barely human. “That is impossible. His body is back in Land’s End, protected by the earth. This…can’t…be,” he thought and he quickly decided how best to quickly dispatch the ogre.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill October 29, 2014
(Aeron should have advantage on his first arrow due to Tru Strike and 2 arrows a round due to fighter level.)

SkidAce SkidAce October 29, 2014
Agreed.

Aeron unleashed an arrow at the closest of the riderless lizards, the elven broadleaf arrow striking deeply into the creature’s chest. With a fading hiss, the lizard (2) slumped to the ground dead. (Target AC 14, Att (adv) 24/12, dam 22)

With his remaining arrow, Aeron turned to the next of the lizards (I assume)and unleashed another of the elven arrows. The arrow struck the creature, but bounced off of its scaly hide. (Att 13) The lizard blinked, but kept coming forward.

SkidAce SkidAce October 29, 2014
Round 2

Name Init Status
Nitram 28
One-Eyed Ogre 24
Blend 23
Shylent 21 ready
Goblin Riders 20
Rumil 19
Aeron 16
Frederick 14

I will create a map tonight before Blend’s turn.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 October 29, 2014
Nitram began moving toward the lizard. When he reached Shylent’s position, he fired at the closest lizard and continued moving forward. if he doesn’t drop the lizard he will move at a slight angle to stay out of melee range from the lizard After he had moved approximately 60’, he fired again if the lizard (1) eating his rider is within 5’ of the ogre, he’ll fire at that lizard and use his horde breaker to fire an additional arrow (#3) at the ogre. If they aren’t within 5’ and the lizard (3) is still alive, he’ll fire at the lizard (3). If lizard (1) and the ogre aren’t within 5’ and the other lizard (3) is dead, he’ll fire at the ogre.
The party members were a little confused as the ranger seemed to stow his bow after firing his last arrow hasted action and began yelling at the ogre in what must be giant, “Stop hiding in the mists like a scared goblin and come out and fight.”

SkidAce SkidAce October 30, 2014
Nitram, distressed and obviously rushed, completely missed his first shot as he came past Shylent. The arrow didn’t even get the attention of the lizard as the creature ravenously headed towards the group. (Att 11, fumble) Nitram continued to move forward, past the dead lizard and toward the ominous figure shrouded in mist. Seeing the the ogre (?) was still a ways back and hard to see, he fired his remaining arrow at the lizard rapidly approaching Shylent and Blend. This arrow barely hit the creature in the side, but managed to do significant damage. (Att 14, damage 8)

Stowing his bow and drawing his sword, the ranger yelled out in defiance “Ĉesu kaŝi en la nebuloj kiel timigita koboldo kaj eliros kaj militos.”

There was a rumbling chuckle from the mists as an ogre moved into sight with a deceptive casualness. Muscles rippled across the one-eyed creature’s torso as it replied “Bonvenon frato”. The creature carried tow massive javelins and a stone cudgel. After speaking to Nitram, it threw one of the javelins straight at the ranger’s chest. The javelin flew with astonishing speed and cut right across Nitram’s chest as he attempted to dodge, leaving behind a bleeding gash. (Att 25, damage 12)

Round 2

Name Init Status
Nitram 28
One-Eyed Ogre 24
Blend 23
Shylent 21 ready
Goblin Riders 20
Rumil 19
Aeron 16
Frederick 14

SkidAce SkidAce October 30, 2014
Dreamscape_01a.png

I remember grid next time…so much converting to do…

the_app the_app October 31, 2014
Rumil felt lost, confused – as if someone had stripped him of his inner energy and replaced it with some unknown link to…to what? Was it Corellon? Where was he? Had another spirit attacked him? No, his party was here with him – this was no flashback – this seemed real and yet something was amiss. He attempted to disbelieve the images before him. Some mages were adept at illusions – but these were better than any he had ever seen. He felt a new energy rolling through him…as if Corellon had metamorphed him from the simple Rumil to…what was he now? The energy within him cried to be released….

AFCop AFCop October 31, 2014
Blend gave the eating lizard a wide berth as he circle to the north to join Nitram, firing two arrows at the ogre as he moved.

SkidAce SkidAce October 31, 2014
In 5e, there are several ways to make a creature “tougher” or suitable for multiple opponents. One is to increase the hit points (skill, toughness, luck). Another is to create what they call a legendary (what used to be called solos, guess they thought it was confusing when the solo was accompanied by minions, whatever) version. Some of these have extra abilities and/or reactions. Some of these “reactions” may occur out of standard turn order.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 October 31, 2014
thanks for the warning

SkidAce SkidAce October 31, 2014
Blend’s arrows flew towards the ogre with two quiet snaps of the bow string. The first arrow caught the ogre in the shoulder, while the second flew slightly over the creature’s head. (Att 14, damage 9 / Att 9, miss)

The ogre looked in Blend’s direction with its missing eye and gave a grunt of surprise, then snapped off the arrow in its shoulder and tossed the remnants to the misty ground.

Shylent glanced behind her at Aeron and Frederick, and then pointed at Rumil, who seemed to have just appeared in a flash of bright white light. Seeing the non-combatants behind her, she stood her ground, ready for the approach of the lizard.

She didn’t have long to wait. She swung her longsword just as the lizard approached her with red rimmed eyes and foul carrion ridden teeth agape. Shylents quick slash stopped the creature in its tracks, and it snapped back at her. (Att 22, damage 4). The equally quick attack from the lizard caught Shylent off guard, and its teeth clamped down on her leg before drawing back. (Att 18, damage 10)

Round 2

Name Init Status
Nitram 28
One-Eyed Ogre 24
Blend 23
Shylent 21
Goblin Riders 20
Rumil 19
Aeron 16
Frederick 14
Dreamscape_01b.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 October 31, 2014
“No. It cannot be. He…is dead. We killed him.” Nitram had difficultly reconciling what he was seeing with what he thought he knew. Looking toward the smoky horizon, he beseeched the heavens, “Rillifane, what is this madness? Have I died? Do I serve you no longer?” His chest hurt. That spear definitely felt real. He was confident that something like that wouldn’t happen in the afterlife. He must be alive, but how was this creature back. Snapping back to reality, he replied to the ogre, “Mi ne estas via frato , Unu-Okulo. Ni mortigis vin tuj. Ne gravas kial aŭ kiel vi revenis. Vi mortos denove hodiaux . Nur la digna vivos hodiaux .” “And you are not worthy,” he thought as he gripped his sword.
The burning in his chest was only slightly annoying to the ranger. He tried to communicate with the wood sprite, “Ma petite ami, are you in there? Can you help? It seems as if the ogre from our past is back. Can you help me before we get into melee?” looking for healing word or produce flame as an attack – the sprite might be pretty pissed that this ogre killed gardain. I’ll rp/roll with either

SkidAce SkidAce October 31, 2014
Corrected Map…stupid lizards…

Dreamscape_01c.png

the_app the_app October 31, 2014
Rumil, annoyed by what he was seeing – or at least what he thought he was seeing – advanced on the creature attacking Shylent. Drawing his thinblade, moving swiftly and with purpose, he knew not his intent, but knew a burning rage within that continued to beg to be released. What was this new feeling? Why did his insides feel like they were storing fire…was Corellon upset? He only knew he had no time to worry about it now – for his friends needed him. Were they his friends? Could such short lived species be counted amongst friends? What was going on with him? Why such thoughts now? Where was he!?!? What magic was doing this? He attempted to summon his inner strength to lend some bite to his sword strike? Why was it not obeying? He would find these answers and many more…but now, now he had some lizards and goblins to kill.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill October 31, 2014
Aeron snapped two more arrows at the closest lizard (first with True Strike Advantage) and watched in satisfaction as 2 arrows emerged from his previous slain lizard and launched towards the ogre (2x 24 to Hit)

SkidAce SkidAce November 01, 2014
Arrow Eruption still needs an attack roll, but you get the same bonuses that the killing shot had, i.e. + 6 / + 10)

The lizard in front of Shylent was slammed by the first arrow from Aeron’s bow, and was nearly slain and pinned to the ground by the shaft. There was still a little fight left in it, but not for long as arterial blood began to flow freely. The second arrow skimmed over the creature’s back. (Target AC 14, Att (adv) 17/12, dam 13)

The ogre was taken completely off guard by the eruption of two arrows from the corpse of the slain lizard, one of the arrows grazed the ogre’s skull, but did no appreciable damage. The other arrow caught the large creature in the thigh, biting deeply into the flesh and muscle. (Att x 2, 18/18, damage 29)

The ogre, taken aback by both the arrow from Blend and the unexpected magic arrow, seemed bloodied and confused for a moment. (bloodied, under 1/2 hp)

SkidAce SkidAce November 01, 2014
Steve, could you post mechanics as you see them for your action with Rumil? Looking to clarify its just a thinblade attack.

SkidAce SkidAce November 01, 2014
(via text from Luci)

Frederick moved up close to Shylent, and spoke a word of healing. The echoes of the word flowed across Shylent’s form, and all of her wounds closed and healed themselves. Continuing past Shylent, Frederick moved up to about 10 feet behind Blend, and prepared to support the upcoming battle as well as he could.

SkidAce SkidAce November 01, 2014
Round 2

Name Init Status
Nitram 28
One-Eyed Ogre 24
Blend 23
Shylent 21
Goblin Riders 20
Rumil 19
Aeron 16
Frederick 14

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 01, 2014
Nitram watched in awe as the arrows erupted from the dead lizard. “I could watch that happen all day. Amazing,” he thought as he prepared to finish off the vile creature.

the_app the_app November 01, 2014
Sorry, no access to all my “new” character stuff while on the road (and I’m obviously missing it in my character sheet – need to add it), but just doing a regular thinblade attack. Used to be able to add “arcane strike” which is now gone – and don’t think I can add spellls yet – until higher levels. Right now, I just see regular attack – keeping in mind I have mage armor cast (at least in real world) and force ring – both adding to AC.

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 02, 2014
I am going to be TDY for the next week and will likely not have Internet access. Matt can run Aeron. Aeron is suffering from his arcane illness and will stay in the party shadows until he discovers the cause. During combat Aeron will fire arrows from a distance at weaker targets utilizing his True Strike/Sharpshooter/Arrow Eruption combo to thin out the horde. If the part gets overrun he will switch to the Terroret’s Staff and Mage Armor robe.*

SkidAce SkidAce November 02, 2014
Copy that Leggs. Steve, Rumil’s thinblade would convert to a finesse weapon in 5e (allows choice of dex or str). I am going to assume you would like to use Dex mods, unless told otherwise.

SkidAce SkidAce November 02, 2014
Putting aside his inner rumilnations, the channeler stepped forward beside Shylent and deftly stabbed the pinned lizard with his elven thinblade. The quick weapon strike killed the lizard, and it collapsed to the ground in a mound of flesh and bile. (Att 25, damage 5)

A supportive warmth rose from the crystal around Nitram’s neck, and some of the wounds on his chest began to close. (Healing Word, + 6hp)

Round 3

Name Init Status
Nitram 28
One-Eyed Ogre 24
Blend 23
Shylent 21
Goblin Riders 20
Rumil 19
Aeron 16
Frederick 14

Dreamscape_01d.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 03, 2014
“Tempo por morti Unu-Okulo,” Nitram growled. Feeling inspired by the ogres surprise and the healing warmth in his chest, he quicky moved forward G15 and assaulted the ogre with Kinslayer. up to 3 attacks: + 9 / 4d6+6 vs. ogre, advantage on first attack. If one of the first two attacks kills the ogre, he’ll continue moving to engage the last lizard: + 8 / 2d6+5

SkidAce SkidAce November 03, 2014
As Nitram moved forward, the seemingly surprised ogre used the time to took Nitram to close the distance between them to throw its last javelin. Again the javelin slammed into Nitram’s torso, cutting another gash across his chest. Special reaction, Att 24, damage 12) Nitram managed to keep his feet and continued his assault on the ogre, even as the creature taunted him by saying “But we are already dead…”

Kinslayer made a slight humming noise as it connected with its chosen foe, the weapon slid across the chest and shoulder of the ogre, peeling back skin and its leather jerkin. (Att/adv 27, 16, damage 18). Nitram followed up the first attack with a second swing, which cleaved even deeper into the ogre’s chest, slaying the vile creature. (Att 20, damage 17)

Nitram continued his assault, heading towards the hapless lizard preoccupied with eating its former rider. The lizard looked up and bared its teeth as Nitram approached, daring him to disturb its meal. The continued burst of speed from his boots allowed Nitram to swing again, chopping a long deep chunk from the lizard’s hide. (Att 23, damage 12)

Round 3

Name Init Status
Nitram 28
Blend 23
Shylent 21
Goblin Riders 20
Rumil 19
Aeron 16
Frederick 14

Dreamscape_01e.png

SkidAce SkidAce November 03, 2014
Nitram felt dizzy…and an uncharacteristic wave of lethargy sweeps over him, causing him to sit down suddenly next to the dead lizard.

xLucix xLucix November 03, 2014
“Are you alright, Nitram? Were you struck by any of their weapons?”

Frederick knew that, often, goblins would either carry blades coated in poison or blades so rusty and mistreated as to basically be poisonous. Additionally, he didn’t know the effects of weapons in a dreamscape like this; he was also trying to keep his mind both focused and blank at the same time, which rendered him silent for the most part.

SkidAce SkidAce November 03, 2014
The last lizard went into shock from the severity of Nitram’s blow. Although the same size as the other lizards, it must have been younger or more poorly trained, as the trauma quickly overwhelmed it and it died next to Nitram with a hissing sigh.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 03, 2014
nice

The ranger’s concern for his predicament was only slightly lessened as the feasting lizard next to him fell over dead. “Rillifane still shows me his grace,” he thought as he struggled to stop himself from laying on the ground. Hearing the words of the bard, Nitram wondered how far back he was from the “action” that he was unable to see the ogre hit him with two javelins. His chest felt as if it had been struck by a battering ram and he had trouble catching his breathe. Holding up a hand to the others, he tried to reply, but the words required so much concentration and he felt so tired. The words came out in spurts, between labored breaths, “Just two ogres…javelins…I’ll live….just tired…moment…rest.”He stopped fighting it, laying his head back he watched the smoky sky above him and listened to the faint sounds of battle around the group. He mentally tried to call to Serre through their “connection”.

SkidAce SkidAce November 04, 2014
Nitram still felt a connection to Serre, but the griffon didn’t seem to be in the immediate area.

Which was problematic, as the sound of large wings still seemed to circle the immediate area in which the group found themselves.

The sounds of battle still ebbed and flowed across the landscape, out of sight and beyond the mists. There was no sun, and there was really no way to determine direction, except in reference to the sounds. The cries of goblins and ogres seemed to come from the general direction that the group had been headed in, and the direction that the goblin riders had appeared from. More human like sounds of battle and the clash of steel and swords seemed to come from the left of that direction. The occasional loud bellow of some creature that sounded like it was as big as a house floated between the two. There was even the sounds of flickering flame, like a bonfire or large forest fire out of control.

the_app the_app November 04, 2014
Rumil quickly inspected the nearby creatures to ensure they were truly dead. Once satisfied, he called upon Corellon’s Sight to see if these poor, pitiful creatures had anything worth a damn on them. He knew that something was amiss with this area and more importantly, with himself. He did, however, like how his blade now handled in his hand – as if it had become easier to wield – more agile. Was it a part of this strange place or was something happening to Rumil…and by his own reckoning, the rest of the party…that could better explain why he felt so strange – so powerful and yet foreign in his own skin.

He was not sure what had happened – but he did know that the shimmer that normally surrounded him in combat had disappeared – and he could not call forth his energy to create it again. He felt a tingling of heat, ice, radiance, and death well inside him, which felt new. What had this group gotten him into? What was going on with him? He grew frustrated and allowed his energy to well forth as he yelled “Corellon, pray for us!” (casting Thaumaturgy, allowing my voice to “boom” three times as loud as normal, as I say it – then dismissing the spell)

xLucix xLucix November 04, 2014
Frederick visibly flinched as Rumil boomingly pleaded/demanded of his god. “If you could warn a fellow before thundering a command in what is most likely a warped echo of one of the biggest battles to ever take place in this area, I would appreciate it.”

Unable to stop scanning the surroundings, he made his way over to Nitram. “Here, this may ease some of your pain” Healing Word, which is 2d4 plus my spellcasting ability modifier, which I’m guessing is different from my spell attack bonus.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 04, 2014
Luci, I’m pretty sure the bard’s spellcasting mod is his charisma bonus

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 04, 2014
After a few seconds on the ground – which seemed more like a few minutes to the ranger – Nitram slowly stood up and looked oddly at his boots. “I wonder if the explosion changed their magical properties. I did feel like I was moving a little faster." He turned to the group as Rumil approached him, “Thank you, Rumil. We may be in a slightly more difficult position than it actually appears. Whatever is flying overhead is not Serre. I’m not sure where my friend is, but he’s not close. I’m not sure what is up there. Do we continue towards the goblin and ogre sounds or head towards the human sounds. I’d prefer to stay away from the loud sound in the middle in case it’s actually a dragon – which, now that I say it, doesn’t seem that far fetched. Rumil, Blend, do either of you know anything about a dragon participating in that historical battle which we may be participating in now?” Nitram looked around for any shelter – a mine or tunnel. He also searched for signs of dragons while he waited for the party to respond.

AFCop AFCop November 05, 2014
Blend visibly flinched at Rumil’s outburst. If the other denizens of this realm, wherever it may be, did not hear the clash between the group and the ogre, they surely were aware of their presence now. He scanned his strange surroundings, trying to make sense of things. It was like trying to put a puzzle together in his head, solve it without manipulating the pieces and doing it in the dark.

Blend looked inward and tried to focus, aligning his mind and body and soul as his mentor had taught him how to do. He had practiced the technique over and over again until it became synonymous with breathing. The state was achieved as before but Blend was surprised when the connection was made. It was still there as strong as before, yet it was different. Not drastically different but more subtle the way an orange and a tangerine would be different. Blend felt the wellspring of potential there, yet the he knew that it’s uses had morphed. Some things were lost while others were gained.

Nitram’s inquiry snapped Blend out of his temporary meditation and he moved to join the rest of the group. The shadows seemed to cling to him as he walked like spiderwebs clinging to person who had stepped into them. Blend could almost feel a tactile quality to them, light as a feather, but stronger than a welded bond. It was not an unwelcome feeling. On the contrary, Blend felt comforted by their presence, bolstered even.

Blend shook his and shrugged in response to the ranger’s question, wishing at the same time he could offer more insight into their present predicament.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 05, 2014
Nitram put Kinslayer in his quiver, pulled the hood of his cloak over his head, readied an arrow, and pointed questioningly toward the ogre and goblin sounds.

SkidAce SkidAce November 05, 2014
Inspiration for Rumil, Frederick, and Blend!

SkidAce SkidAce November 05, 2014
Once again Frederick’s Healing Word reverberated around the form of one of his comrades, completely healing Nitram’s wounds.

There was much discussion about their current situation. They knew several things; they had been assaulted by ghost spirits, and given visions of an ancient battle, they had found a mine containing magical ore, there had been a magically enhanced explosion of some kind and everyone had passed out.

The sights and sounds surroudning them in the formless mist seemed very familiar to those who had experienced one of the visions, almost as if they were caught in an unending vision of what had occured here many years ago. There was nothing in anyone’s experience to explain why the spirits of the ogres and their opponents continued to linger in this area.

The sounds in either direction began to sound louder and louder, not as if they had come nearer, more like the two armies had met and begun another pitched battle.

Suddenly, there was a massive gust of air as whatever was flying through the mists above them passed low over head, but not low enough to see anything except the dark blur of large outstretch wings. dust and gravel flew about the area, and the group got the impression that the"creature" was turning around to come back.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 05, 2014
“We might want to spread out,” the ranger said, looking up to the sky. He looked around for a place to hide and take cover, hoping to surprise the beast if it landed or got close. Trying to hide in/around a rock outcropping or something.

xLucix xLucix November 06, 2014
“Whatever it is, let’s hope it’s not an angel.”

Frederick paused, shook his head at what he’d just thought, and tried to find some covering as well. If this was the war that had raged so many years ago, and if they had reached the part where the troll fiend and the Angels had gone to battle, then cover would be a moot point in any case.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 06, 2014
Nitram paused very briefly, “Did he just say troll fiend battling angels? No, I must have misheard him." Nitram scoured his memories of the bard’s stories hoping he hadn’t just dismissed it as another of his fanciful tales. He went back to finding cover.

AFCop AFCop November 06, 2014
Blend moved away to find cover, the shadows coalescing around him like a protective cocoon.

SkidAce SkidAce November 06, 2014
The rushing of wings definitely was re-approaching the area. With a swirl of dust and gravel a large reptilian beast, infamous for its bad temper and spiteful nature, swooped down into the middle of the party and began snapping at anything that moved. Shylent was the closest to the beast, and as she readied her sword and shield she yelled out bluntly “WYVERN!”

stand by for init and map)

SkidAce SkidAce November 06, 2014
Wyvern.jpg

SkidAce SkidAce November 06, 2014
Identify any space on the map you would like to start. And tell me whether you wanted to be hidden or not at the beginning of your turn.

Round 1

Name Init Status
Blend 30
Nitram 26
Aeron 19
Wyvern 15
Frederick 13
Rumil 11
Shylent 11

Dreamscape_02a.png

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 06, 2014
N16, hidden

SkidAce SkidAce November 06, 2014
Round 1

Name Init Status
Blend 30 Stealth 25
Nitram 26 Stealth 17
Aeron 19
Wyvern 15
Frederick 13
Rumil 11
Shylent 11

Dreamscape_02b.png

the_app the_app November 06, 2014
L8, not hidden, but somewhat sheltered behind the rocks

At Shylent’s call, Rumil quickly attempted to take stock of this creature. What did he know of them? He had studied Draconic in his youth, but was this creature a simple beast or one of the mighty and intelligent creatures he learned to communicate with – shouting, hissing, combining sounds hard for the elven tongue to master.

“Why?” A simple word in Draconic, but one that Rumil had learned no dragon could resist. Curious creatures, putting even Frederick to shame with their desire to know…well, most things, it was said they could not pass up such a question. Of course, it was also said they would quickly grow bored or frustrated if the asker did not provide a follow-up, eating the hapless person and answering with some whitty comment about being a dragon or some nonsense…but Rumil had to give it a shot, even if only to distract the beast long enough for his party to bring it down.

AFCop AFCop November 06, 2014
Blend leaped from his hiding place behind the rocks figuring they would provide meager protection against a creature so large. Incarnhate flashed once, then twice, seeking soft spots between the overgrown lizard’s scales. Blend considered maneuvering away from the beast, somehow feeling that he could accomplish the feat without leaving himself open for attack, however, he did not want to leave Shylent alone facing the creature. Instead, he focused and drew upon his inner reserves and channeled them in a way that improved his reaction time and bolstered his ability to defend himself.

Move to J11, 2 attacks, + 9 to hit, advantage, sneak attack 3d6, spend 1 ki point to use dodge as bonus action.

SkidAce SkidAce November 06, 2014
Rumi’s question momentarily attracted the great lizard’s attention, but then the brute returned its eyes to its prospective meal, Shylent.

Being so focused on the fighter in front of him, the wyvern failed to notice Blend leaping out of his hiding place, wakizashi gleaming in what little available light there was. Blend’s strike drove deeply into the massive body of the creature, and Incarnhate was buried to its hilt. As Blend withdrew the blade, he sliced sideways, gashing another wound in the wyvern’s side as the blade withdrew. (Att/adv 29c, 22, damage 47)

Blood gushed and the creature hissed, recoiling slightly from the two figures.

SkidAce SkidAce November 06, 2014
Dreamscape_02c.png

SkidAce SkidAce November 06, 2014
Round 1

Name Init Status
Blend 30
Nitram 26
Aeron 19
Wyvern 15
Frederick 13
Rumil 11
Shylent 11

xLucix xLucix November 06, 2014
Why must my initiative always be so bad?! lol

Frederick was of two minds about the Wyvern. On the one hand, it was rather rare to see such a creature, and would normally be the object of much study and boisterous arguing among the Library’s more senior denizens. On the other hand, this was a dreamscape that seemed more than willing to fashion increasingly tougher opponents for them to face. And, his personal favorite, they still had not figured out a way to escape. Not that they’d been given much time to do so.

mmartin_10 mmartin_10 November 06, 2014
Nitram actually looked a little shocked, “That’s definitely not Serre." He drew the arrow to his cheek, slowed his breathing, and focused on the wyvern’s body. He fired twice from his position + 10/1d8+5 and then moved up to one side of the beast H17 and stowed his bow. free action

sorry, forgot to place Aeron. FYI, his char sheet hasn’t been linked to the wiki The elf stayed among the rocks and fired 2 arrows at the large creature, hoping he didn’t have to rely on his fleeting magic.

SkidAce SkidAce November 07, 2014
one free “interaction”, in order to keep terms clear.

SkidAce SkidAce November 07, 2014
Both of Nitram’s arrows thudded swiftly into the body of the wyvern, which seemingly ignored them in an oblivious way. (Att 19, 13, damage 19) As Nitram approached the creature, he could tell it was seriously wounded.

The shriek of the wyvern’s call allowed Aeron to begin to track the approaching creature as it dove down on the party through the haze. The smoke swirled around its bat like wing tips in ghostly vortices as the dragonette descended on the companions. Aeron looked to see if any rider was astride the wyvern’s back and then summoned his meager arcane power to guide his arrows through the obscuring mist as the dragon like creature swooped down to the ground. Aeron called forth the power of his elven ancestors bound to the Oathbow as it shouted forth, “Death to those that wronged me!” Two razor sharp broadleaf arrows snapped from Aeron’s bow in quick succession into the melee as Merchant Blend appeared from the rocks and engaged the creature with his long straight sword. The first arrow flew straight into the gaping maw of the wyvern and lodged itself sticking halfway out the back of its head. The second arrow struck the creature on the side of the head, slicing a gash along its jaw. (Att 30, 16, damage 46)

The wyvern looked angry to most of the group. Of course wyverns were notorious for being ill tempered vile beasts. This one seemed especially angry and spitefull. Nitram knew that wyverns were mainly airborne hunters, so why this one had come to ground to fight them was unknown, perhaps it was the mist, or an affect of the dreamlike state the group found themselves in.

Hissing and crouched low to the ground, the wyvern slinked forward towards Shylent, massive jaws agape. The toothy mouth closed on Shylent’s shoulder, just above her weapon arm, puncturing the flesh before drawing back swiftly. (Att 23, damage 12)

Almost before Blend could realize it, the wyvern’s tail, with what appeared to be a scorpion like stinger on the end flashed towards him. Blend’s movements, bolstered by his ki , easily evaded the poisonous attack. The missed sting flicked several droplets of poison upon the gravel ground, where it sizzled momentarily.

Round 1

Name Init Status
Blend 30
Nitram 26
Aeron 19
Wyvern 15
Frederick 13
Rumil 11
Shylent 11

Dreamscape_02d.png

ProfessorHill ProfessorHill November 07, 2014
(2 Attacks with Advantage on first arrow due to True Strike)
(Hit:+ 8…Prof + 3, Belt Dex + 4, Sworn Oathbow + 3, Hood + 1, Archery + 2, Sharpshooter – 5)
(Dam: 1d10 + 2d6 + 18…Belt Dex + 4, Sworn Oathbow 2d6 + 3, Sharpshooter + 10, Quiver 1d10 + 1)

the_app the_app November 07, 2014
I’m glad you all have all your new numbers figured out – cause I’m still fumbling in the dark when it comes to +X, item Y, etc

Rumil noted the creatures momentary interest – and assumed the creature caught a sound, not a word, as it appeared more interested in food than conversation. This, to Rumil’s mind, was a simple creature, no better than a wolf who grew mad and attacked – it would be put down.

He, however, was still hesitant to call forth his power – as the power that welled up in him earlier and made his prayer to Corellon sound like a summons – was certainly foreign to him. He would take it slow – the group appeared to have this under control after all – and summon his powers from least likely to disintegrate everyone to most likely. Rumil began the gestures required to call forth, what he hoped was a spell that would slow and chill this cold blooded creature. In Celestial, Rumil sung out “Blood of Ice!” (cast Ray of Frost, 2d8 cold dmg, -10ft movement, ranged spell attack)

SkidAce SkidAce November 08, 2014
Minimum damage on the Oathbow with Sworn and Sharpshooter applied is 21. Nicely put together Leggs, keep in mind the limitation. Your Aelvinwode mentors would be proud. (I dont even want to think about crits.)

Elven Oathbow

SkidAce SkidAce November 08, 2014
Frederick chanted what sounded like arcane words, and waved a feather at the wyvern. Against all odds, this seemed to fascinate the creature, and with some kind of bubbling gurgle, the wyvern fell over on its side, legs wiggling uselessly.

Rumil’s spell of power reached the creature almost immediately after it fell over, enveloping it with an icy sheen. The massive legs stopped their almost comical wiggling, and the whole creature seemed to slump quietly to the ground, emitting a last un-wyvern like chortle as it died. (Att 13, damage 7)

SkidAce SkidAce November 08, 2014
via text, as above) Frederick them moved closer to Shylent, acting quickly to provide assistance.

Blood of the Throne part 6

Unconquered Kingdoms SkidAce